Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best SHTF rifle to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I seem to have an unerring knack for treading on peoples corns around here. If you actually have such a group going I envy you. But to borrow a phrase from Cane, "it shows no premeditation". That's why my bedroom long gun is a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag loaded with 200 gr .44 sp.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Do criminals display a gun or shoot from more than about ten-twenty feet, not to mention 50-100 yards?

Though I have an SKS, Enfield Jungle Carbine etc, my rifles and ammo won't make it any easier to find insulin, in order to keep my wife alive if anarchy somehow were to break out and last for weeks.
My 3,000 rds. of .303, the 3,500 of 7.62x39 and 3,400 of 8mm Mauser will be about useless. It will be very hard to spot any deer or available cow near Memphis.

It is always educational to read about you guys' guns and ammo, but it's difficult for me to see that any gun can help procure critical pharmaceuticals for a family member if the Walgreens and Krogers are already ransacked.
This is something to be planned for. Just as food and water must be stocked, so must any medical supplies. I'm not sure of the shelf life of insulin, but I'd be willing to bet that it will store for considerably longer than the expiration date.

I also recommend studying up on essential medical care well beyond simple first aid. I have done so and continue to learn and add to my knowledge base. I have also been learning about medicinal herbs and Asian medications.

Many medications can be bought at pet supply houses and feed stores. It's cheaper too.

...and I have lots of ammo too.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 06-27-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I seem to have an unerring knack for treading on peoples corns around here. If you actually have such a group going I envy you. But to borrow a phrase from Cane, "it shows no premeditation". That's why my bedroom long gun is a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag loaded with 200 gr .44 sp.
Not at all. I didn't take actual offense. I was just defending my group of fine people. We are not racist in any example. In fact, we are comprised of a pretty diverse collection of operators. With 3 negro, 2 hispanic, and 5 middle easterners, the rest, such as myself, typical American mutts. I am decended from Irish/ Norse and Northern Cheyenne blood. My earliest known ancestor being Turgesius, who conquered Ireland in 836 and took Irish slaves, one of which he married and became my great....grandmother. In as much as premeditation is concerned, my group of merry marauders have no qualms in the powers-that-be knowing exactly where we stand, and take pride in the quote of Don't Tread On Me...We actively seek peaceful remedies to unwarranted political encroachments on our liberty and birth-rights. But, should all our words of wisdom and reason fail...they can't say they weren't warned ahead of time, right?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #34

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/s-w-m-p-15-599-00-nib-28740/#post306305

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #35

Kel-tec su16c I don't own one but it weighs like five pounds or something.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #36

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have pondered this alot, and i have come to the conclusion that i can *probably* use my mossi to pick some fool with is 2000 dollar plastic gun off at a couple hundred yards while he is fooling with his battery opperated bs...then i would simply take his gun and use it...after removing the 14 acogs and "nightvision sights" and laser sights and range finders and all that other retarded s%@# a real specops person would never be caught dead with ( i know several so take my word for it). then i would have a gun that shoots weaker ammo but it would be much more replenishable from any other armed zombies, who probably got their guns from police who conveniently use the same ammo.

dont take me wrong though. im not going to go on a "hunting trip" in a shtf scenario. but im not gonna let armed people just meander my way either, they will know im there somewhere thats easy enough to do......basicly my point is. just get a good reliable somewhat accurate firearm you feel comfortable with, i dont think guns will be that hard to come by if it ever does hit the fan.

Last edited by Cory2; 07-01-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #37

Default Shotguns vs AR's

Anything is possible in a tactical scenario. Being an operator with 3 combat tours under my belt, I too, can attest to what does and does not work. In as much as engaging an experienced warrior with a shotgun, make sure that you are well informed of his/their movements. A shotgun is awesome in a CQB scenario, as long as you have plenty of back up. A lone gunman armed with a pump 12 would be at a decided disadvantage against a hardened dude coming at him with an AR, AK, M1A, Garand...the list goes on. I understand your point, but as I learned the hard way...bring enough gun. If someone such as myself was hunting you, I would do it from a long way off. In such a manner as the rounds would be impacting before the sound of the shot ever reached. I only go into CQB op's when there is absolutely no choice, then I'm coming hard with M-67's and rolling them in as fast as the pin hits the floor. But, I digress, against the average idiot who has zip for combat experience, he would be inclined to offer all sorts of body parts as potential targets. I suppose the main problem I have with shotguns in a tactical situation is that there is way too much of a chance for collateral damage. One or two pellets can inflict dibilitating injury to friendlies. Not a good situation when those friendlies are your back up. Which is why I became extremely proficient with a 1911 wide body. Just a thought...

Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #38

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I think we are talking to different scenario's here. The OP, as I understand it, is a hypothetical (armaggedon?) ---should society break down and pillaging bands of desperate attackers besiege the home fort.....what weapon would be the most cost effective and fit that need.

In the "self defense" scenario, I think your statement is credible in the realm of potential liability regarding the perception of a jury of ones peers.

regards,

Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #39

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPatriot View Post
Anything is possible in a tactical scenario. Being an operator with 3 combat tours under my belt, I too, can attest to what does and does not work. In as much as engaging an experienced warrior with a shotgun, make sure that you are well informed of his/their movements. A shotgun is awesome in a CQB scenario, as long as you have plenty of back up. A lone gunman armed with a pump 12 would be at a decided disadvantage against a hardened dude coming at him with an AR, AK, M1A, Garand...the list goes on. I understand your point, but as I learned the hard way...bring enough gun. If someone such as myself was hunting you, I would do it from a long way off. In such a manner as the rounds would be impacting before the sound of the shot ever reached. I only go into CQB op's when there is absolutely no choice, then I'm coming hard with M-67's and rolling them in as fast as the pin hits the floor. But, I digress, against the average idiot who has zip for combat experience, he would be inclined to offer all sorts of body parts as potential targets. I suppose the main problem I have with shotguns in a tactical situation is that there is way too much of a chance for collateral damage. One or two pellets can inflict dibilitating injury to friendlies. Not a good situation when those friendlies are your back up. Which is why I became extremely proficient with a 1911 wide body. Just a thought...
...ohhh..lol it took me a minute to figure out what you where talking about. i think i have given the wrong impression. i call my mosin nagant my "mossi" sorry for the confusion. however, i too am a huge fan of 1911's ever since i got the chance to shoot a gold cup when i was 15 and it was so easy to sight and shoot that i was putting holes through holes at 20 yards. i havent fired another pistol since that has allowed me to do that. on the other i dont think people such as your self would be running about doing raiding parties on people either. im more so talking about the people who have more money than sence and bought a bunch of guns or a few highdollar guns but didnt decide to prepare with anything else so they would be forced to scavenge or take...they would probably chose the take option i would suspect.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #40

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

A lot of things can go on while you're waiting for Armageddon.