Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best SHTF rifle to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

You could get a Mosin-Nagant and 1200rds, all for less than $300.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
You could get a Mosin-Nagant and 1200rds, all for less than $300.
That is near the top of my list, although the MN I want is the Finn M39, that alone will be $300.

Also let it be known that I've omitted the 500 yards requirement, now realizing that it is indeed unrealistic. Lets say 250-300 extreme maximum range. I'm still really drooling over some of those WW2 bolt guns (MN, SMLE), and either a Ruskie or Albanian SKS (which is what I'm leaning towards... Any final input with those weapons is welcome.

Last edited by HawkI; 06-19-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: more to say!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you want range and firepower, you can buy a Field Grade M1 Garand for $495. and a Service Grade for $595. from CMP. Plus you'll be owning a major piece of history.

.30-06 ammunition isn't cheap anymore, but it's still relatively affordable. Just stock up as much as you can. I shoot the Greek HXP surplus all the time in mine.

BTW, the M1 is not a light rifle, I believe it goes around nine pounds. But, there is nothing like a Garand.

Insert gratuitous gun pic here:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 06-19-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #24

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

cz 858 or a russian sks. 1120 rounds of ammo less than 200 bucks.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #25

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
first, i think in SHTF situation, for defense, you dont really need to reach out 500 plus yards. There are few situations even in food gathering where a 500 yard shot will ever present itself for most unless you live in the desert.

While im not saying, you dont need a 500 yard rifle, if you are looking for a worst case scenario rifle, you need an autoloader, the faster to load and higher capacity the better.
I, too, don't understand the distance requirement. If, by SHTF, we're talking some sort of war action to defend liberty, then sniping could be very necessary. But a bolt-action would serve just fine in that case, right? If, SHTF, you mean roaming bands of zombies, then you really wouldn't be firing on them at 500 yards, but waiting until your life is at risk. We're talking must closer range. And THEN you want the ability to put as much lead as possible downrange.

I'm going AR-15 for my SHTF rifle because I really won't be engaging at great distances in an urban environment. But I do want to be able to unload if necessary to protect me and mine.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #26

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I, too, don't understand the distance requirement. If, by SHTF, we're talking some sort of war action to defend liberty, then sniping could be very necessary. But a bolt-action would serve just fine in that case, right? If, SHTF, you mean roaming bands of zombies, then you really wouldn't be firing on them at 500 yards, but waiting until your life is at risk. We're talking must closer range. And THEN you want the ability to put as much lead as possible downrange.

I'm going AR-15 for my SHTF rifle because I really won't be engaging at great distances in an urban environment. But I do want to be able to unload if necessary to protect me and mine.
You thought it out! I like my bullets to pierce walls and cars easily. My Cetme can handle that. With the 4x Hensoldt scope it is effective to 400 meters, so it works well from 0 to 400 meters. But wait, how far is the target? The Psl scope has a range finder, not batteries required. That is a 0 to 400 meter rifle also. Both are semi auto. The Cetme w/ 20 round mags and the PSL w/ 10. If The Sh!t happens, I'm staying put. I can sit tight for a month or more.

The PSL w/ its' little friends!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 06-20-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #27

Default remmington 770

I paid less than $400 for my Remmington 770s. I have a 770 .243 and 770 .308. Both are very accurate. They have a detachable magazine so it makes it easy to carry extra ammo ready to go. When you reffer to a SHTF situation, weight is important.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #28

Do criminals display a gun or shoot from more than about ten-twenty feet, not to mention 50-100 yards?

Though I have an SKS, Enfield Jungle Carbine etc, my rifles and ammo won't make it any easier to find insulin, in order to keep my wife alive if anarchy somehow were to break out and last for weeks.
My 3,000 rds. of .303, the 3,500 of 7.62x39 and 3,400 of 8mm Mauser will be about useless. It will be very hard to spot any deer or available cow near Memphis.

It is always educational to read about you guys' guns and ammo, but it's difficult for me to see that any gun can help procure critical pharmaceuticals for a family member if the Walgreens and Krogers are already ransacked.

Last edited by Laufer; 06-27-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #29

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default best shtf

you have got to be realistic about your budget ....whats your life worth? there are deals out there that wont break the bank but your limit of 350.00 needs to be rethought .this is what i have ....a poor mans ar 10 ,good for any and all situations: remington model 7600 synthetic .308 pump rifle, ati tactical pistol grip buttstock ,tally mounts ,3x9 nikon ,sling ,9 round slip on stock ammo holder,2 factory mags 4 round ,3 10 round mags, had trigger job done this set up is tough ,reliable, very accurate great for hunting or offense/defense for less than 1000.00

Old 06-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Been thinking quite a bit about this, I'm thinking a Marlin 30-30. Pretty darn reliable, good for 200 yds, can put down a large critter if need be, and you don't look like a militia wannabe should a cop see you trotting around with it.
What if you happen to be a serious Militia member who actually trains and adopts a serious approach to realizing the Patriotic goals associated with such a pursuit? Does this still keep you in the "wanna-be" category? All I see anymore are comments deriding and degrading Militia units and militia operators. We in my unit are trained as well, and as motivated as any active duty troop, since the majority of us are actual combat vets and lovers and supporters of our beloved nation and Constitution. Perhaps it is time for people to start taking the efforts of the Patriot Militias seriously, after all, we will be the ones who are standing in harms way if it ever becomes necessary. We all hope it never comes to this, but, as the old adage goes, I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Granted, of course, that there are whack job gangs of racists and anarchists... but, as for me and mine...we hope for the best, but train for the worst, regardless of ethnic origin or belief system.