You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Best shooting position? Breathing techniques?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 18
Default Best shooting position? Breathing techniques?

Hello everyone! I was just curious how everyone else position's them selves when firing there rifle . I use a bipod and was curious to see if there was any advice on the correct prone position and if there was any breathing techniques to maximize accuracy! I've heard fire when fully exhaled? Let me know! Thanks!


CanadianCanuck is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,996
Liked 5924 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 3063

Default

Take a deeeeep breath in, and slowly exhale, then hold your breath, and pull the trigger. For best bullseye score do it for every shot. A sniper will time his heartbeat, the slower the better.

For prone shooting, an inline no-drop buttstock makes it easier. You can use a cheek riser. Try a rolled blanket or pillow to prop your upper chest. Whatever makes you comfortable works towards a better score.

Place the buttpad firm against the shoulder. Find the least recoil-sensitive spot. I try not to place it directly in the joint.

Added: on the bipod... Useful if the rifle is heavy enough. A lightweight rifle will jump. You are better off pressing the forend into a sandbag, or supporting it manually.

Below is from a Mosin shoot at 100 yards. Not spectacular but good for an old battle rifle. I did use a pull-on buttpad.


File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Mercator; 09-08-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Mercator is offline  
schnuffleupagus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Seargent_York's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Northwoods USA
Posts: 424
Liked 319 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default

breathe easy and steady, squeeze (not pull) the trigger slowly, the shot should almost surprise you as you are not tensed up in anticipation of recoil, but concentrating soley on sights/cross hairs.....


works great for target shooting, harder to stay calm when looking at that big buck........
Seargent_York is offline  
JimRau Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Take a deeeeep breath in, and slowly exhale, then hold your breath, and pull the trigger. For best bullseye score do it for every shot. A sniper will time his heartbeat, the slower the better.

For prone shooting, an inline no-drop buttstock makes it easier. You can use a cheek riser. Try a rolled blanket or pillow to prop your upper chest. Whatever makes you comfortable works towards a better score.

Place the buttpad firm against the shoulder. Find the least recoil-sensitive spot. I try not to place it directly in the joint.

Added: on the bipod... Useful if the rifle is heavy enough. A lightweight rifle will jump. You are better off pressing the forend into a sandbag, or supporting it manually.

Below is from a Mosin shoot at 100 yards. Not spectacular but good for an old battle rifle. I did use a pull-on buttpad.

I use a savage axis .243 . You think that's too light? I may have to pick up a bag and try that and see if I fend better. I've been shooting at 50 yards to try to dial the gun in but my grouping is decent but all about 1 inch or so to the right, so I figured the gun needs to be adjusted . I'm not 100% on sighting the gun in. That would be my windage adjustment? I know your suppose to sight the rifle in at 25 yards . And the dial I need to be adjusting is the on right side of the scope, just not sure which direction I should be turning etc. my manual says each click is a quarter of an inch if I remember correctly .
CanadianCanuck is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,996
Liked 5924 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 3063

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCanuck View Post
I use a savage axis .243 . You think that's too light? I may have to pick up a bag and try that and see if I fend better. I've been shooting at 50 yards to try to dial the gun in but my grouping is decent but all about 1 inch or so to the right, so I figured the gun needs to be adjusted . I'm not 100% on sighting the gun in. That would be my windage adjustment? I know your suppose to sight the rifle in at 25 yards . And the dial I need to be adjusting is the on right side of the scope, just not sure which direction I should be turning etc. my manual says each click is a quarter of an inch if I remember correctly .
Not sure why 25 yards, I think you should sight it in for the most likely or favored distance. It really depends on the scope first, and the ammo second.

The Axis is a lightweight hunting rifle. I think you will do better from a sandbag or even from the kneeling position than from a bipod.
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Not sure why 25 yards, I think you should sight it in for the most likely or favored distance. It really depends on the scope first, and the ammo second.



The Axis is a lightweight hunting rifle. I think you will do better from a sandbag or even from the kneeling position than from a bipod.

Oh a buddy who has a lot of experience with this stuff told me, but I guess everyone has a different way lol. Il try that! Il have to get a bag.
CanadianCanuck is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 14,135
Liked 11195 Times on 5936 Posts
Likes Given: 10878

Default

The best by far is standing, off hand.

when you can consistently hit your target from the off hand position, you can hit it from any position.
__________________
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur



If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost
locutus is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 4,255
Liked 2831 Times on 1691 Posts
Likes Given: 1749

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The best by far is standing, off hand.

when you can consistently hit your target from the off hand position, you can hit it from any position.
True, if you can drive a standard (hand shaker) transmission you can drive an automatic!!!
But I have, for hunting purposes, went to the seated position, supported if possible, because in most hunting situations due to terrain and vegetation, the prone position is not practical.
As for breathing, I breath normal for several breaths than partially exhale and stop and start my trigger action, the exception is shooting at a moving target.
To me the most important factor is having a 'good' trigger. I prefer a 2 1/2 lb with not creep and a crisp 'break' and very little over travel. Once you get use to a 'good' trigger any one over 4 lbs will aggravate the hell out of you, not to mention a gritty, long pull on a trigger, mil-spec sucks.
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 4,255
Liked 2831 Times on 1691 Posts
Likes Given: 1749

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCanuck View Post
I use a savage axis .243 . You think that's too light? I may have to pick up a bag and try that and see if I fend better. I've been shooting at 50 yards to try to dial the gun in but my grouping is decent but all about 1 inch or so to the right, so I figured the gun needs to be adjusted . I'm not 100% on sighting the gun in. That would be my windage adjustment? I know your suppose to sight the rifle in at 25 yards . And the dial I need to be adjusting is the on right side of the scope, just not sure which direction I should be turning etc. my manual says each click is a quarter of an inch if I remember correctly .
The 25 yard think is the starting point only (except for some military applications). Even when I 'bore site' a rifle I fire my first shots a 25 yds and adj to dead on or slightly low (if the sight to bore line distance is more than an 1 1/4) and then you will be 'on the paper' at 100 yds.
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,054
Liked 4794 Times on 2278 Posts
Likes Given: 2351

Default

Sorry to advise 25 yards is not the accurate distance to sight a rifle in. Unless for example you are just plinking with a 22 for fun! If you sight the rifle in for 100 yards it will be hitting low at 25 yards. Depending on how high the scope reticle or optic is compared to the bore that is how low it will hit at 25. This due to the line of sight and line of bore at the 25 yard distance. If sighted in at 25 yards it will be hitting way high at 100 yards! I preferably sight the rifle in at 100 yards. This due to the fact most all ballistics charts regarding bullet drop is figured on either 100 or 200 yard zero.
The second issue is if you want the tightest group possible you will not do it with a Bi-Pod on the rifle. Although most all sniper rifles have a bi-pod on them and I agree it is a good piece of equipment and should be used on them. But as stated if you are looking for peak accuracy a sand or bean bag and a good bench is best.
I have been on the long gun for years in the military and also law enforcement. As far as proper breathing it is up to the individuals preference. Some let half the air out and hold before shooting. For me I take in a couple of good breaths if time permits and let it all out right prior to "pressing" the trigger. And you can shoot between heart beats with some practice. Also both feet are flat on the ground with toes of my boots facing outward. Chest slightly raised on right side being right handed, to eliminate any pressure on my chest and upper torso. It works for me! *Here is a three shot group with my standard Remington 700 CDL 7MM Rem Mag hunting rifle at 100 yards zeroed for *200 yards off the bench and bag. Also for precision shooting a good quality scope is an essential! Other than that "Practice" "Practice" "Practice"!

03


__________________
The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment
Sniper03 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Breathing techniques cblowe13 General Rifle Discussion 24 07-16-2013 03:05 AM
Pistol shooting position fisherkip General Handgun Discussion 17 10-28-2012 02:46 PM
Rapid fire and breathing - your take on it? flw Competition Shooting 9 06-17-2012 11:20 PM
Complete Garand Shooting Position Video Amsdorf Curio & Relic Discussion 1 05-15-2012 12:14 AM
breathing gnoll Competition Shooting 8 04-30-2008 04:43 PM