best rifle in case of collapse of society - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > best rifle in case of collapse of society

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default .22 LR is Illogical Parroting

We are blessed to have a preparedness forum on this site. Truly.

As for the .22, it has always amazed me how often people parrot this. They defend it by saying how cheap, plentiful, small, light, and quiet it is. Except for the price and plenty then, rare .22 Short would be even better!

Also not as inexpensive, about halfway in price between .22 LR and .223, .22 Magnum is alot more powerful than the boys' .22 LR. As dear old Mom used to say, if someone MADE you bet your life on the weakest cartridge around, you'd cry. .22 Mag is twice as powerful as the .22 LR but is the same size, weight and loudness for all intent and purpose. After any emergency situation begins you may hope to find what supplies you need, but you must plan to have what you need before it starts. Hello! Presume BoxMart's shelves will be bare and there won't be any "battlefield pickups," OK fellas? Besides, in a pinch, you can fire all those scavenged .22 LR's in a .22 Mag single-shot some'll point out...

Two basic facts to remember:

1. You ain't gonna survive potting squirrels
  2. At 100 yards the .22 Mag has the same velocity as a .22 LR at the muzzle

.22 Mag -- twice as nice!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-20-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #82
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
We are blessed to have a preparedness forum on this site. Truly.

As for the .22, it has always amazed me how often people parrot this. They defend it by saying how cheap, plentiful, small, light, and quiet it is. Except for the price and plenty then, rare .22 Short would be even better!

Also not as inexpensive, about halfway in price between .22 LR and .223, .22 Magnum is alot more powerful than the boys' .22 LR. As dear old Mom used to say, if someone MADE you bet your life on the weakest cartridge around, you'd cry. .22 Mag is twice as powerful as the .22 LR but is the same size, weight and loudness for all intent and purpose. After any emergency situation begins you may hope to find what supplies you need, but you must plan to have what you need before it starts. Hello! Presume BoxMart's shelves will be bare and there won't be any "battlefield pickups," OK fellas? Besides, in a pinch, you can fire all those scavenged .22 LR's in a .22 Mag single-shot some'll point out...

Two basic facts to remember:
  1. You ain't gonna survive potting squirrels
  2. At 100 yards the .22 Mag has the same velocity as a .22 LR at the muzzle

.22 Mag -- twice as nice!
You're just a 22 hater. Therefore, I can discount everything you say.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #83

I'd expect nothing less from someone in The Quad Cities, so can have a yard-sale on anything you've discounted!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-20-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #84
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
I'd expect nothing less from someone in The Quad Cities, so can have a yard-sale on anything you've discounted!
thbbbttttt

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

ok heres one. Could a 22mag be fired from an AR using the .22 conversion bolt? single shot of course.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #86

Cattle, I hope you know you can't put a .22 Mag in a .22 LR but am glad you agree about not relying on the diminutive .22 LR either. Of course the .223 departs significantly from the features and benefits of the rimfire.

Another (rhetorical) question: can you put a .22 LR in a .223 without a conversion kit?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Bigger is better......

Depends on what end you are of the barrel..... The Good old U.S.A.... is getting there ass kicked by a bunch of drug dealers an goat herders......When you say the 22 40 gr. won't put meat on the table or defend your house hold, then you are the one that will spray and pray...... Do a little research and you'll find that it took over 60,000 rounds to kill one gook in the war with vietnam.... Snipers 3............remember you'll be fighting people who don't follow the rules of any war........And all those on wellfare and drug addicts.......I say lets dance now, at least I can still hit the target, and put meat on the table....... Armadilo sauce picaunte, baked opposum, baked coon.... all taken with the lowlife 22 40 grain..........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #88

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

One guy mentioned shooting someone's eyes out at 100 yards with a .22LR. Hell, I bet I could shoot a guy's left nut off with one while he was running, but I think I will stay with a larger caliber.

Actually, those CCI Stingers are pretty good rounds. I like to keep a couple of boxes on hand.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Cattle, I hope you know you can't put a .22 Mag in a .22 LR but am glad you agree about not relying on the diminutive .22 LR either. Of course the .223 departs significantly from the features and benefits of the rimfire.

Another (rhetorical) question: can you put a .22 LR in a .223 without a conversion kit?
No. the firing pin wont reach and if it could its center instead of rim. The .22mag should work in a.223 barrel with the conversion bolt though. I have never heard of anyone doing it but I would think that the pressures of the .22mag would still be less than a .223. As for relying on the .22lr? yes and no. I have the .22lr conversion bolt for my AR so I'm using both rounds. The 22lr would just be for small game and a .223 hp should get me by If I had to take something larger. The whole point of that SHTF set up is to pack as few long guns as possible. All in the name of portability.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #90

Cattle;
You were serious! Sorry. The .22 Mag is a different size/shape case in all dimensions than a .22 LR. Even the bullet dia. is .001 wider. Note that using a .22 LR in a .22 Mag technically may well leak gas, may rupture the slightly smaller case, and will leave fouling at the throat so is not as accurate and officially only the approproiately identified calliber should be used in any firearm.

Now a reminder about the premise of the post: best rifle (naturally turns to caliber). And, on que, we see ".22 LR people" defending the weakest round when nothing but a few cents and lack of logic keeps them parroting and stops them from upgrading. They get defensive like the .22 LR was named by them...

I try to keep things simple. .22 Mag: twice as nice for three-halfs the price!

Maybe a "gook" will help Willshoum figure that out...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-21-2012 at 12:38 AM.