Best Home Defense Rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Home Defense Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
If you want to be practical. A shotgun is the best all around home defense long gun. I'm sure it's a tiny bit more economical than all that AR handgun round shootin' junk. Just a hunch though.
He asked for the best rifle option. If he had asked for the cheapest HD option the answer would have been a little different. I don't personaly like 12 ga shotguns for HD for many reasons and since he asked for a rilfe I tried to sugest something that would go in line with his actual request which I happen to think is perfectly valid given his situation.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
I don't personaly like 12 ga shotguns for HD for many reasons
Fair enough. . . Name 10

Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #23

Wow a supressed SBR for self defense??? I'd advise getting a good lawyer on a retainer before you jump off that bridge. Ever think about the legal ramifications of using something like that in a civialian homicide? There have been a lot of "close calls" for people and even some not so good turnouts for others who have used certain types of bullets or had custom work like trigger jobs done. Anyway, do what you like, but I'd ask a lawyer about shooting people with a class 3 weapon and calling it self defense!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

depends on where you live and your lawyer environment. in texas i wouldnt hesitate to keep my CZ550 or Winchester model 70 loaded with either .458winmag or .458 LOTT ammo and just unload on an intruder. in the people's republic of wisconsin i wouldnt think of such a thing. the legal environment is different. i use the same loading in my mossberg 590 as the sheriff deputies use. i also use the same .45acp rounds for my pistol that are authorized by the sheriff's dept for departmental use. its just the legal environment that exists in wisconsin.

as for a good home defense rifle use a 12ga shotgun. if you REALLLLLLY gotta use a rifle pick a AR15 its a weapon that has proven itself in combat for decades and used by our military and commonly found in police cars and department armories. i would stay away from making any home defense weapon into a tacticool shooter.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Fair enough. . . Name 10
1) Too heavy and unwieldly to manuver in tight confines
2) Most popular ammo choices are
-slugs-problems with overpenetration indoors
-buckshot- poor penetration depending on angle and poor performance outdoors on longer distance
3) HEAVY recoil and slow follow up shots
4) LOUD indoors, almost as much as a FB
5) Mostly unsuitable for females and younger members of the household who might need an SD gun when you are not around
6) Tough to handle a shotgun AND a light
7) Usually piss poor sighting systems
8) 3-5 round capacity for most models
9) SLOW reloads
10) Expensive and punishing to shoot enough to become profient

Last edited by Wambli; 12-21-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica6-284 View Post
Wow a supressed SBR for self defense??? I'd advise getting a good lawyer on a retainer before you jump off that bridge. Ever think about the legal ramifications of using something like that in a civialian homicide? There have been a lot of "close calls" for people and even some not so good turnouts for others who have used certain types of bullets or had custom work like trigger jobs done. Anyway, do what you like, but I'd ask a lawyer about shooting people with a class 3 weapon and calling it self defense!
I'm not planing on commiting a ""civilian homicide". Now if you are refering to a justified self defene shooting during a home invasion then the legal issues that might come out about WHAT you used, as long as it is legal AND legally owned, are HUGELY overshadowed by the facts of the incident.

BTW, if you do some research those close calls you are talking about tend to be more urban myths and gunstore lore than facts.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A really big dog that barks at strangers.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #28

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The only rifle I can think of that would do the job correctly and not overpenetrate through a person would be a .22 mag rifle.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #29

Well my friend I guess you have it all figured out so lock and load! Get that supressed SBR ready for some action, just in case you don't want the neighboors to hear! I've been in 2 home defense situations, 1 when I was 14 and the other was just 4 years ago. I won't discuss the outcome of either, but I will tell you that 4 years ago I was asked what type of bullet I used in the gun. In a related story, my best friend was attcked in a town in VA several years ago in while leaving a Waffle House. He was asked exactly the same question on numerous occasions. These questions were asked by police and attorneys for a reason. Though in the end it did not effect the outcome of decisions that were made in the legal processes, it did in fact get put into the report.
I'd also like to add that in my later incident, the fact that I have a competitive shooting background came to surface and did in fact play against me for a moment.
As far as the legal end of it and those gun store rumors you mentioned, if for any reason the case makes it to trial things might be a little different than you had planned for. Also, take into consideration how the media portrays these topics. Everything might work out just fine until the media knows that you shot someone with what they will likely publish as an illegal or military weapon. How many people have you talked to that said...wow I though silencers and sawed of rifles were illegal? Those same people work as reporters and police officers and don't know any better, but that won't change a headline or a perception. One member mentioned that there was a geographic bearing on this and he's correct. Different states, counties and departments will handle things differently. In my area, these idiot cops couldn't even take a finger print correctly off of glass and they ruined the only good one there was using freakin scotch tape! After what I have endured here, I'm moving back to PA and away from this contaminated gene pool!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #30

I find it strange that you mention heavy recoil and then go on to say an SG is more suitable for females and kids!

-Ammo is cheaper than rifle ammo and is made in low recoil types specifically for defense.
-If you need more than 3-5 shots from a 12ga....your in a movie!
-If you have concerns about "aiming" a shotgun with the "piss poor sighting systems" you don't have any business owning firearms
-Gun mounted lights are very available and cheap as hell. You can attach a good LED light to the barrel of an SG using electrical tape and it's sure not easier to hold a flashlight and rifle
-A pump action SG can be operated very quickly
-Most defense shotguns are about the same length as a 16-20" rifle
-Poor ammo choices??? You want some pictures of what buckshot will do to flesh at any angle
-And as far as buckshot goes, well at 10-12' (normal home defense distances) 12-15 OO pellets will be concentrated into a load about the size of a softball. If you have trouble with pentration at that range with OO you batter get some armor piercing rounds for that the rifle you mentioned! By the way, I lived and hunted in VA for many years where shotguns and buckshot were all that was legal in certain counties. Deer are tougher than humans and I piled them up with buckshot at ranges out to as much as 45 yards.
-Unless you are going to be shooting a lot indoors...I wouldn't be too concerned with the noise, you'll never hear the gun go off if you have to use it and for that matter....you won't feel the recoil either.