Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Home Defense Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Home Defense Rifle

What would be the best home defense rifle to get?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A 'shotgun'.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #3

definitely a shotgun. i keep my ak47 handy too though. however, i don't have to worry about innocent bystanders. 30 round magazines are definitely reassuring though.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do NOT use a rifle for home defense unless it is an absolute last resort. You run a large risk of over penetration which could lead to innocent casualties.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
Do NOT use a rifle for home defense unless it is an absolute last resort. You run a large risk of over penetration which could lead to innocent casualties.
I live in the woods. The nearest house is 4 miles away. I'm more likely to need to kill a cat or bear than I am someone performing a house invasion.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I live in the woods. The nearest house is 4 miles away. I'm more likely to need to kill a cat or bear than I am someone performing a house invasion.
Well generally speaking most people have neighbors, or busy streets, close enough to warrant reserve when using rifles for home defense. We aren't all as lucky as you

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
Well generally speaking most people have neighbors, or busy streets, close enough to warrant reserve when using rifles for home defense. We aren't all as lucky as you
I's cool, you guys can be jealous.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #8

Default Home defence rifle

As these guy's pointed out nothing out performes a shotgun for obvious reasons, but since you are a special case and live out in the sticks, you could get away with a semi- auto rifle, perhaps a fn / fal it is one of my favorites, easy to clean, ton's of ammo available, and hardly ever hear of one jaming up like AR's, Battle proven !!! AK's are great rifels to but the rounds are not that powerful, Scoped you can reach out 400 yards easy, I wont comment about any ferther, thats as far as I have ever shot mine. Prices will vary as to who made perticular model. and you can feel pretty secure with 30-40 rounds of ammo at your fingertip's hope this helps.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I would agree a pump shotgun. Great psyc on the bad guy and all the power to back it up. I trust my familys life to one when I am not here. The biggest thing with any weapon for defense it to be very familiar with it. You really need to know that weapon almost to the point of memorized muscle response. If someone is breaking in to harm you or your family there is no time to read an instruction manual. Practice makes perfect especially under stress.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I's cool, you guys can be jealous.
I don't have any other people for miles around either, but the shotgun is a MUCH better choice for me. Use the shotgun (scatter) approach as opposed to the rifle (one point of impact) approach....unless you're going to pick off the intruder before he gets to your house......? I didn't think so.

And yes....nothing like the racking of a pump shotgun to give the BG second thoughts!