Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Best Home Defense Rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/best-home-defense-rifle-2143/)

Skeletor 10-04-2007 09:48 PM

Best Home Defense Rifle

What would be the best home defense rifle to get?

Pounce 10-04-2007 10:02 PM

A 'shotgun'.:)

csteinman 10-04-2007 11:18 PM

definitely a shotgun. i keep my ak47 handy too though. however, i don't have to worry about innocent bystanders. 30 round magazines are definitely reassuring though. :D

BLS33 10-04-2007 11:20 PM

Do NOT use a rifle for home defense unless it is an absolute last resort. You run a large risk of over penetration which could lead to innocent casualties.

matt g 10-04-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLS33 (Post 9391)
Do NOT use a rifle for home defense unless it is an absolute last resort. You run a large risk of over penetration which could lead to innocent casualties.

I live in the woods. The nearest house is 4 miles away. I'm more likely to need to kill a cat or bear than I am someone performing a house invasion.

BLS33 10-05-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 9394)
I live in the woods. The nearest house is 4 miles away. I'm more likely to need to kill a cat or bear than I am someone performing a house invasion.

Well generally speaking most people have neighbors, or busy streets, close enough to warrant reserve when using rifles for home defense. We aren't all as lucky as you :p

matt g 10-05-2007 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLS33 (Post 9399)
Well generally speaking most people have neighbors, or busy streets, close enough to warrant reserve when using rifles for home defense. We aren't all as lucky as you :p

I's cool, you guys can be jealous. :D

rickrem700 10-05-2007 05:24 AM

Home defence rifle

As these guy's pointed out nothing out performes a shotgun for obvious reasons, but since you are a special case and live out in the sticks, you could get away with a semi- auto rifle, perhaps a fn / fal it is one of my favorites, easy to clean, ton's of ammo available, and hardly ever hear of one jaming up like AR's, Battle proven !!! AK's are great rifels to but the rounds are not that powerful, Scoped you can reach out 400 yards easy, I wont comment about any ferther, thats as far as I have ever shot mine. Prices will vary as to who made perticular model. and you can feel pretty secure with 30-40 rounds of ammo at your fingertip's hope this helps.

lukeisme 12-12-2009 09:04 PM

I would agree a pump shotgun. Great psyc on the bad guy and all the power to back it up. I trust my familys life to one when I am not here. The biggest thing with any weapon for defense it to be very familiar with it. You really need to know that weapon almost to the point of memorized muscle response. If someone is breaking in to harm you or your family there is no time to read an instruction manual. Practice makes perfect especially under stress.

lonyaeger 12-12-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 9407)
I's cool, you guys can be jealous. :D

I don't have any other people for miles around either, but the shotgun is a MUCH better choice for me. Use the shotgun (scatter) approach as opposed to the rifle (one point of impact) approach....unless you're going to pick off the intruder before he gets to your house......? I didn't think so.

And yes....nothing like the racking of a pump shotgun to give the BG second thoughts!