Best grain for rate of twist
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best grain for rate of twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default Best grain for rate of twist

Some of you seen my post about my new gun, which is a savage in 243 the rate of twist is 1 in 9.25. Which grain do you think would be best to shoot in it factory wise? I've seen several different factory loads in different grains and speeds muzzle velocity wise. I'll list the gr and speed to save time I'm not gonna put brands. Just your opinion on what the grain would be and if the speed would be too hot to run in my gun 24"heavy barrel not gonna be shooting fast range and coyote hunting at ranges out to 500

55gr mv 3850

55gr mv 3910

58gr mv 3750

58gr mv 3945

70gr mv 3400

75gr mv 3400

80gr mv 3350

80gr mv 3425

85gr mv 3200

85gr mv 3320

90gr mv 3100

90gr mv 3200

95gr mv 2980

95gr mv 3030

95gr mv 3185

100gr mv ranging from 2838-3200

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10427 Times on 4496 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

80-105 gr, you should be good to go with the twist that you have. Lighter bullets may need a faster twist, and will retain much less energy at 500 yds.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

What's too hot to run through the barrel 4000 fps and up?

Old 01-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #4

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlotOfPayne View Post
What's too hot to run through the barrel 4000 fps and up?
The faster you push a projectile through your bore really doesn't make much difference,but your throat will suffer erosion from the hot gasses after a number of hot rounds when the barrel gets hot.
In all of the years I've been shooting and reloading,very few rifles shoot maximum loads the best. Most like middle of the road powder charges,and the only thing your doing by pushing a bullet faster is burning more powder,loosing accuracy,and getting your barrel hot.

Each rifle likes a certain bullet/load,you'll just have to experiment and find out what your rifle likes.
North American Hunting Club
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22251 Times on 12465 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree with TXhillbilly, that faster is not always better or more accurate. i have found some of my most accurate loads in the middle range of powder charges. i am much more concerned with accuracy over speed now.

even two seemingly identical rifles with the same twist ratio can perform differently with the same load and bullet. even two different brands of bullets in the same weight range can perform differently in the same rifle.

this is why many of us who shoot rifles like to reload. we can fine tune a particular load and bullet to a specific rifle, increasing it's accuracy.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Also, dont get overly concerned about the numbers that various brands put on their loads. You most likely wont see the real world velocities to match their claims. Its just the way it is. And since its factory ammo, good luck with finding more than a couple in a box that are even close together. So forget their claims.
Even tho most factory stuff is kinda sloppy, you'll most likely find something that your rifle will shoot respectably enough. But dont get too high of hopes for cloverleafs. Yes, it could happen.
I would start at the 75-90g and see if theres something there it likes. Its trial and error. As was said, each rifle has its own tastes, and theres only 1 way to find it.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #7

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975 View Post
Also, dont get overly concerned about the numbers that various brands put on their loads. You most likely wont see the real world velocities to match their claims. Its just the way it is. And since its factory ammo, good luck with finding more than a couple in a box that are even close together. So forget their claims.
Even tho most factory stuff is kinda sloppy, you'll most likely find something that your rifle will shoot respectably enough. But dont get too high of hopes for cloverleafs. Yes, it could happen.
I would start at the 75-90g and see if theres something there it likes. Its trial and error. As was said, each rifle has its own tastes, and theres only 1 way to find it.
A .243 with a 1/9.5 twist is designed for heavier bullets like the 100gr and maybe certain 105gr bullets but you are certainly not limited to heavier bullets. I reload so I am a believer in handload superiority but I have to disagree that ''most factory stuff is kinda sloppy.'' That is just not true. There might be some bad batches or even low end manufacturers that have ammo that is inconsistent but overall most ammo companies make good quality ammunition that can easily shoot sub-moa groups. I have shot some of Hornady's new Whitetail 30-06 ammo that did just that.. Cloverleaf. That ammo shot as well as some of my handloads. Don't be fooled, there is good quality factory ammo out there.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post

A .243 with a 1/9.5 twist is designed for heavier bullets like the 100gr and maybe certain 105gr bullets but you are certainly not limited to heavier bullets. I reload so I am a believer in handload superiority but I have to disagree that ''most factory stuff is kinda sloppy.'' That is just not true. There might be some bad batches or even low end manufacturers that have ammo that is inconsistent but overall most ammo companies make good quality ammunition that can easily shoot sub-moa groups. I have shot some of Hornady's new Whitetail 30-06 ammo that did just that.. Cloverleaf. That ammo shot as well as some of my handloads. Don't be fooled, there is good quality factory ammo out there.
Uh....congrats? Are you wanting a medal, or a chest to pin it on?

Maybe our definitions of 'good quality ammunition' as you put it, are different. Compared to precision loads, yes, most factory stuff is sloppy. Weigh a few. Measure a few. Weigh a few charges. If that stuff is your idea of acceptable, fine. Yes, there are some factory stuff that is better than others. And Im sure that even the premium lines will come in 2nd to a precision handload. So I will continue to call anything less than consistant precision, sloppy.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #9

Txhillbilly thanks for the info. I thought that the rifling was being messed up by running hot loads through it. Now I know its the throat. I got all the trial and error stuff guys. I just figured asking about the gr would help me narrow down a little bit of the trial and error. But my question still is what do y'all think is to hot velocity wise that starts to harm the throat? Thanks everyone for the help and info.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2224 Times on 1317 Posts
Likes Given: 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
80-105 gr, you should be good to go with the twist that you have. Lighter bullets may need a faster twist, and will retain much less energy at 500 yds.
I was under the impression the heavier bullets need the 'tighter' twist to stabilize, not the lighter?????
The reason for this is their length in relationship to the bore size and the fact that the lower velocity they are launched at reduces the 'speed' of the rotation.
People Like This