Best Elk Rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Elk Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

I try to post a pic but cant. I think its my phone I cant view other pics that others post so dont know. As far as shaking no that went away yrs ago, shakin today hell yes it was frickin cold
Excuses everyone has one

Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2358 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Above all get a rifle and caliber combination you are comfortable shooting and carrying. The magnums are great only if you can handle and carry them. At my age, I dont want to think about a magnum. I would choose an 30-06 or 270. Yes I am wimping out but I dont need the weight, recoil or a detached retina. A 6.5 lb rifle + scope in one of the above calibers would be my choice. Ammo is reasonable and not brutal to practice with. If you are young enough and capable of handling the mags, then go with it. 7mm, 300 or 338 are all good magnum rounds.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #23

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Excuses everyone has one
Im serious I cant view pics. On this site nor can I post one

Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Above all get a rifle and caliber combination you are comfortable shooting and carrying. The magnums are great only if you can handle and carry them. At my age, I dont want to think about a magnum. I would choose an 30-06 or 270. Yes I am wimping out but I dont need the weight, recoil or a detached retina. A 6.5 lb rifle + scope in one of the above calibers would be my choice. Ammo is reasonable and not brutal to practice with. If you are young enough and capable of handling the mags, then go with it. 7mm, 300 or 338 are all good magnum rounds.
Im 40yrs old had a shoulder replacement a yr ago now my christensen arms 338 has very min recoil. I have the kick ease recoil pad on it christensen arms did the titanium muzzle break. I can sit an run through 60 rounds no prob. So recoil can be managed

Old 12-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #25

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Im serious I cant view pics. On this site nor can I post one
Its k i was just given u sh*&.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Not always true a good recoil pad like my christensen arms has a kick ease pad an a good muzzle break, the gun is a joy to shoot, I can run through 60 rounds at the range no prob

Old 12-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #27

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Not always true a good recoil pad like my christensen arms has a kick ease pad an a good muzzle break, the gun is a joy to shoot, I can run through 60 rounds at the range no prob
I would agree with this. The odd part is my buddy has the same exact rifle as I do. A Savage 110 Sierra lite. Mine is 7mm Rem Mag, his is .270. Before I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it his still had much more felt recoil. I would attribute that to a faster burning powder. With my Limbsaver the rifle gives a slight nudge. I had a double fushion in my neck a few years back, so uber thumpers are not as much fun as they once were.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

muzzle brake will lessen felt recoil by redirecting it. if i were to ever own another belted magnum cased rifle again, it will have a very good recoil pad and a muzzle brake without a doubt. i had the chance several years ago to shoot a friends 300 win mag before and after he had a muzzle brake installed, before i hit like a sledgehammer and i might take a few shots a year with it, afterwards, way more pleasant and wouldn't even mind shooting it all day long. another way to lessen felt recoil if you reload is powder selection, faster burning powders will hit a lot sharper.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #29
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2358 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 677

The new recoil attachments sound like they work. They did not have them when I was hunting. I used to be able to handle the recoil but at 70+ I dont look forward to it anymore. Sighting in my shotgun for slugs was bad enough. I used to think shooting my hot loaded Ruger #3 in 45-70 was fun. 500 grn solid at 2000 fps. 405 grn soft point at 2200 fps. Later I knocked them down 200fps.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #30

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

The 7mmRemMag really does not require a muzzle brake, nor does the .300WM IMHO. A good butt pad is all it takes. I load the 7 w/ IMR4831. I also load a few other cartridges w/ it. Makes them ***** cats w/ great velosity.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.