Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Best Elk Rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/best-elk-rifle-52841/)

KaiTheGunGuy 12-01-2011 04:41 AM

Best Elk Rifle
 
I'm new in hunting and someone wants to take me elk hunting, I need to know what is the best, yet affordable elk hunting rifles. And, if possibe, what are some good places to go elk hunting in Oregon or Washington. Thanks

jeepster69 12-01-2011 04:48 AM

270,308,30-06 are decently priced,,,,, 7mag and up,and the bullets start getting ridiculous,best of luck!

NotMormon 12-01-2011 05:18 AM

30-06 OR 300 Winchester Magnum. If you're not going to do much shooting, the cost of ammo shouldn't be much of a concern. Stay away from remington. They pretty much suck these days.

elk-acholic 12-01-2011 05:21 AM

7mm or a 30 cal are the most popular. Really anything from a 6mm and up will work but the 7mm and up are recommended. Elk and big tough animals. The most important thing over the caliber is shot placement and a bullet thats made for bigger game hunting. Any of these calibers work go for all game not just elk. I recommend browning, savage or tikka. That's just my opinion.

Durangokid 12-01-2011 06:58 AM

It depends what kind of area you are hunting. Elk hunting can be over Sage Brush prairies or deep in the Black Timber. My choice for over 50 years has been the .338 Win. Mag. with a 250 grs bullet. This round works well under all conditions and carries a powerful pay load. I also hunt in areas where the Grizzly Bears are a real threat.:)

75370 12-01-2011 08:22 AM

I use the 35 Whelen, it's never let me down.

Muliemaster 12-02-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid
It depends what kind of area you are hunting. Elk hunting can be over Sage Brush prairies or deep in the Black Timber. My choice for over 50 years has been the .338 Win. Mag. with a 250 grs bullet. This round works well under all conditions and carries a powerful pay load. I also hunt in areas where the Grizzly Bears are a real threat.:)

You nailed it the 338 winny is my choice for elk I use a christensen arms carbon one custom in 338 for all my elk hunts, I shoot handloaded berger vld in it nasty combo there.

Muliemaster 12-02-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotMormon
30-06 OR 300 Winchester Magnum. If you're not going to do much shooting, the cost of ammo shouldn't be much of a concern. Stay away from remington. They pretty much suck these days.

Remington rifles suck huh???? Ok I see the point on a 770 but all remingtons, come on wake up, get real

Marlinman 12-02-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Remington rifles suck huh???? Ok I see the point on a 770 but all remingtons, come on wake up, get real

Agreed. There is a reason remington arms is one of the oldest american ran bolt gun companies-they are great guns. Ya they have some bad models but when your as old as them you can afford them ooops models. As to a good gun/caliber....above advice on 7 mm mag and up is prefered is very correct.

Muliemaster 12-02-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

Agreed. There is a reason remington arms is one of the oldest american ran bolt gun companies-they are great guns. Ya they have some bad models but when your as old as them you can afford them ooops models. As to a good gun/caliber....above advice on 7 mm mag and up is prefered is very correct.

Best elk gun if only I could get an ar15 in 338 win mag ohhhhhhhh baby got elk???


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.