Best Bore Cleaner?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Bore Cleaner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Bore Cleaner?

Here's the question. I've been cleaning a number of rifles that were put away dirty 30 to 40 years ago. These are MN 38's, M44's, 91/30 and a few 308 2A Ishy's. I don't think some of these firearms have seen a brush in my lifetime. While most have really nice bores after being cleaned, I was wondering if there is any tricks to speeding up the process.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I kinda had the same question but for different reasons. Someone said bore snakes to a good job, but cleaning them after you clean the gun can be a pain.

Can anyone recommend a good solvent that will take off copper/lead/powder residue relatively quickly?

Old 05-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #3

I like to use Outers Bore Solvent. It seems to do a really good job and without too much scrubbing.

Jeff

Old 05-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a bunch of stuff. From GM's "Top Engine Cleaner" (called "Kleenz" here in Canuckistan) for removing carbon, to Hoppe's #9 for a general bore cleaner, Barnes CR10 for copper deposits, Break-Free CLP for general cleaning/lubing, JB bore paste & Kano Kroil for the target rifles shooting moly coated bullets.

I'm going to give that foaming stuff (Foul-out?) a try one of these days.

Oh, and sometimes I also use "strong ammonia" (different from 'household ammonia', have to buy it at janitorial supply places) on barrels with really stubborn copper fouling; but with caution as it can cause some 'frosting' on barrels if left in too long.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt