Best bolt .308 under $400?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best bolt .308 under $400??

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895

+1 on the Marlin X7
Marlin over the vanguard in a split second way more bang for the buck but thats my thought
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 117
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I don't mind about recoil, I just want to shoot around 500-800 yards

__________________

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

rem870forever is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem870forever View Post
I don't mind about recoil, I just want to shoot around 500-800 yards
What kind of accuracy are you looking for at that range?

If you want something better the minute of deer at 500 yards, you may need to keep saving. Don't get me wrong, I love my Marling KL7 in 30-06 but to ask an entry level rifle with a $200 scope to knock down a quarter at 500 plus yards is a TALL order.
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire

What kind of accuracy are you looking for at that range?

If you want something better the minute of deer at 500 yards, you may need to keep saving. Don't get me wrong, I love my Marling KL7 in 30-06 but to ask an entry level rifle with a $200 scope to knock down a quarter at 500 plus yards is a TALL order.
Lets say for a second that the x7 cant shoot long range so now look at other rifles that quote r not entry level what makes the x7 any less??? It has all the bells they have dosent it oh yes it does my bad factory entry level guns can all performe in the hands of someone who spends time behind them my x7 is a tack driver period I have a leupold vx3 on it an at 200 off a bench will put 5 shots in 1 inch all day long dosent seem entry level now does it yes I have other high end rifles but why my christensen arms was 10 times in cost an for what it dosent group any better
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 117
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I think I'll stik with the marlin

__________________

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

rem870forever is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Lets say for a second that the x7 cant shoot long range so now look at other rifles that quote r not entry level what makes the x7 any less??? It has all the bells they have dosent it oh yes it does my bad factory entry level guns can all performe in the hands of someone who spends time behind them my x7 is a tack driver period I have a leupold vx3 on it an at 200 off a bench will put 5 shots in 1 inch all day long dosent seem entry level now does it yes I have other high end rifles but why my christensen arms was 10 times in cost an for what it dosent group any better
I agree that typically it has more to do with the shooter then the rifle and my Marlin will group like yours will at 200 yards and while I dont often get to shoot at 200 anymore, at 100 it makes one ragged hole. All I'm saying is that there is a BIG difference between 200 and the 500-800 that the OP mentioned. When you get out to those ranges the game changes dramtically.
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I agree that typically it has more to do with the shooter then the rifle and my Marlin will group like yours will at 200 yards and while I dont often get to shoot at 200 anymore, at 100 it makes one ragged hole. All I'm saying is that there is a BIG difference between 200 and the 500-800 that the OP mentioned. When you get out to those ranges the game changes dramtically.
i agree that the shooter is the bigger part of the package here. lots of rifles can shoot accurately out of the box, but when getting past 500 yards, i think that most will require a little tuning and accurizing to reach their full potential. but past the 500yrd mark, lots of it also depends on the person pulling the trigger. then there's the reloading thing, tuning ammo to the rifle.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i agree that the shooter is the bigger part of the package here. lots of rifles can shoot accurately out of the box, but when getting past 500 yards, i think that most will require a little tuning and accurizing to reach their full potential. but past the 500yrd mark, lots of it also depends on the person pulling the trigger. then there's the reloading thing, tuning ammo to the rifle.
Hey there axxe55 just finishef a colorado elk an deer hunt my kid smoked a good 5x5 muley I took another good 6x6 bull headed to wyoming on friday for deer elk an antalope
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem870forever View Post
I don't mind about recoil, I just want to shoot around 500-800 yards
For that range you might want to save up a little more money
Most of the rifles mentioned are good for mabe 300yds but 800?
You're asking too much out of a $400 rifle-----------Then theres the glass!
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET


Last edited by HOSSFLY; 11-09-2011 at 10:57 PM.
HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CarlsbadRanger06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 360
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

If you want to shoot sub MOA at beyond 500M you're going to have to find some little old widow lady selling off her dead husband's rifles dirt cheap or a similar scenario.

You just can't spend $400 or less and get a long gun to do that.

Keep saving your money bud! You'll get there

__________________

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

CarlsbadRanger06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ideas on how to convert a straight bolt Mauser 98k to curved bolt (sniper bolt) sharpshooter5647 General Rifle Discussion 20 11-18-2013 12:33 PM
Mauser Bolt Problem-Please help, bolt does not go back in! vikingxj General Rifle Discussion 15 11-27-2012 09:00 PM
Browning X-Bolt or A-Bolt WhiteWolf4 General Rifle Discussion 19 02-18-2012 12:42 AM
Which Browning...A-Bolt or X-Bolt? VincentVega General Rifle Discussion 5 05-28-2011 03:52 AM
How to make an auto bolt release for the Ruger 10/22 (using the factory bolt hold ope Impartial DIY Projects 0 03-31-2011 10:29 PM