Best bang for less than $400?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best bang for less than $400?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default Best bang for less than $400?

I'm looking at picking up a rifle that I may only use to hunt a few times in my life. Here in Ohio, high powered rifles are illegal for deer, so if I get one, it would be in the hopes I get to go for big game elsewhere.

Anyway, I was looking at the Marlin XL7 series or the Remington 770. I would like to hear opinions on both, and if someone has another suggestion for less than $400, let me know. Looking at .270, .300 win mag or .30-06. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

For less than $400,you will not get much of a rifle-even used.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You can get close to that $400 mark with either Savage or Tikka. Both are pretty highly regarded rifles too.

If that were my budget, I'd look for a used Savage Model 11 with a decent scope or a used Tikka T3 Big Boar with a decent scope. With the current economy, there are many people who are selling their prized firearms just to pay the bills. Check pawn shops, newspapers and penny savers. You will find something in your price range that will quickly become your prized firearm.

I let this go, along with 500 rounds of ammo for $500 almost a month ago:

There was nothing I could do. Unemployment pays less than 1/4 what I was making when I was at work. It was all I could do to keep the lights and heat on and I'm not the only one in this situation.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-08-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

The Savage Model 40 or model 25. The stevens Model 200 I think.

the stevens Model 200 is one hell of a rifle for $400 I have a buddy that took and rebuilt one and is with just a new barrel and new stock will shoot 1 hole groups at 100 yards. That is amazing for a $200 rifle with a $200 stock and $200 barrel. For $600 he built a good shooting very accurate rifle and spent $250 on glass. So for the price of a rem 700 VSSF he has a rifle that will out shoot a remmy hands down.

Last edited by cpttango30; 01-08-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #5

Yes, certainly check local classifieds - I recently aquired a Remington 700 ADL in .270 for $200 flat. Took it home and provided a little TLC and had an excellent shooter. These ADL's are very common and can be had used in the $300 range at many gun shops.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #6

Thanks. I've been checking the local Bulletin Board for quite a while now. Thing is that I live in the middle of nowhere, and the ads cover a wide area. I am looking for something that I may use just a couple of times. The $400 is kinda of a max. I saw a Field and Stream report on groupings at long range, and rated the top 10 tested. The Marlin XL7 in .30-06 held its own. Well within kill shot target area. I know nothing of the Rem 770 tho.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 1st choice is Marlin XL7. Recently I got 1 to give to a buddy for present and was so impressed got another 1 for use as loaner/beater rifle. They are outstanding for the price-MUCH to my suprize and include scope bases. 1 of them will group into 1 1/2" at 100 yards, while the other groups about 1 1/4. They feature the same kind of goofy trigger as savage's accu-trigger but this is EASILY bypassed by pulling tab to back, then bend to 1 side. You wind up with a good 2 pound trigger that's STILL 100% safe/reliable and passes all tests such as banging butt on floor, slamming bolt down into battery as fast as I can, and smacking side of rifle with heel of hand. They will do the job for you.

PLEASE do yourself a HUGE favor and stay away from the poor attempted revamp of the model 710, commonly known as the model 770. They are JUNK!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #8

Thanks, stalkingbear, I was leaning to the Marlin anyhoo. I was wondering 'bout the 770, since it kinda popped up outta no where. I seem to recall a recall on the 710 'bout a year ago, so I wondered. I'm gonna guess, but I'd say that there will be many 770's about very soon, since Wal-Mart is selling them for $315 with scope. I saw .243, .30-06 and .300 win mag. Local dealer tells me he can get the XL7 series for less than $300. For something I will never shoot a TV series with, I like the idea of getting a capable rifle and getting to know it well.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Always glad to help. Another reason to shy away from packages, is they usually put the cheapest scope they can on the package deals. Holler at me and I'll help you choose a decent scope for reasonable price, but will still last longer than you will, to be passed down if desired.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you want something cheap and fun and high-powered, why not go mil-surp? A mosin for a hundred dollars and a scope for a couple hundred will still leave a lot of money for ammo.