Best .338 Lapua Bolt-Action Rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best .338 Lapua Bolt-Action Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best .338 Lapua Bolt-Action Rifle?

I'm curious which of these three incredible rifles you gentlemen believe is the best. Price is irrelevant, and I may consider purchasing one in the far future. Which one is the BEST? They're all just too beautiful! Thank you.

The Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout: Versatile Sniper Systems | Desert Tactical Arms
The Barrett MRAD: Barrett
The Remington MSR: Remington Defense

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryACR View Post
I'm curious which of these three incredible rifles you gentlemen believe is the best. Price is irrelevant, and I may consider purchasing one in the far future. Which one is the BEST? They're all just too beautiful! Thank you.

The Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout: Versatile Sniper Systems | Desert Tactical Arms
Consider this one. Of course without the supressor. It's more realisitc for our civilian world and way more precise for what you may do with it.

Elite Iron High Quality Suppressors

Heres another one to look at.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-rifles-tactical-tac-338.php

Last edited by mrm14; 11-12-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Just to throw another choice out there,check out the Savage 110BA Tactical rifles.
I got to shoot both the 300WM and 338 Lapua 110BA's a couple weeks ago when the Savage Rep's were at a local range.Both rifles were very fun to shoot,and also very accurate. They told me to shoot them all that I wanted,so I burned up quite a bit of their Hornady ammo that they had on hand.
Even though I don't care for the style of these rifles,they had great ergonomics and can be adjusted for different sized shooters very fast and easy.
Most dealers have them for under $2K.

Savage Arms Firearms > 110 BA

Old 11-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryACR View Post

None of them. Honestly. None of them.

If I was going to buy a .338 Lapua:

First off, I would need a range to be able to shoot out past 1,000 yards. Not an easy find.

Second, I would NEVER buy an off the shelf rifle in this price range that wasn't completely specialized (rifle, ammo, software, etc)

If you are looking for REAL performance in this category, you need to look into having a rifle built around this platform, not the other way around.

JD

Old 11-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
None of them. Honestly. None of them.

If I was going to buy a .338 Lapua:

First off, I would need a range to be able to shoot out past 1,000 yards. Not an easy find.

Second, I would NEVER buy an off the shelf rifle in this price range that wasn't completely specialized (rifle, ammo, software, etc)

If you are looking for REAL performance in this category, you need to look into having a rifle built around this platform, not the other way around.

JD
I'm sorry J.D.,But I firmly believe that you do not need to have a CUSTOM built rifle in order to shoot long range.
Any of the rifles listed in this thread are very capable of producing great long range accuracy,as long as the shooter is trained in long range shooting and able to pull off the task at hand with the right equipment.
You know as well as myself that the average shooter couldn't hit a 1K target with all the ammo they could shoot in a day,if they don't know and understand all of the variables that are part of shooting at long ranges.

My 308,30/06,and 300WM are all capable of shooting 1K yards,but it would take me a lot of ammo in order to make a hit at that range without doing a lot of homework and practice.And I've played this game for a while.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I'm sorry J.D.,But I firmly believe that you do not need to have a CUSTOM built rifle in order to shoot long range.
TX - I agree with you 100%, but that is not the question at hand in this thread.

Henry asked which of the three rifles we felt was best, but that price was no option, for a future buy.

Now, if he had said simply which was best, I would have been forced to pick one.

The SRS is over $3K for the chassis and another $2K for the .338 Upgrade. Holy hell, I better be able to hit just about anything I can see, at distance, for that price of an off the shelf weapon. I can get a weapon twice as good for the same price that ISN'T a bloody bull pup style where the muzzle flash is going to frickin' blind me through the optics.

The Barrett MRAD isn't released, isn't even pricing yet for the average civilian consumer, but you can expect it to be in the $6K to $8K neighborhood.

The Remington MSR is the best of the class in my opinion, and probably because we had it in the shop a year before anyone else got to see it. But it's going to be expensive for civilians. REALLY expensive and I can say with an amount of certainty as I have spoken to Remington's West Coast rep.

So, of the three, if price is no option, I am not going to throw $8K or $10K at a problem that can be solved with $5K that includes a ton of extras.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #7

Simple choice....use what most European Countries use...

Accuracy International Rifles

Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #8

Default Get a dta srs

Ok I own a dta srs and let me assure you there is definantly none of this blinding from the muzzle flash you speak of in any caliber with or without the brake ...in response to the original poster I would get an srs (I know I'm a little biased because I own one ) but that's because they are that damn good there one of the toughest most accurate most functional weapons you can own the ergonomics are a work of art the trigger is one of the best of all the rifles I've used it recoils like a 308 even in 338 it changes form one caliber to another in no time flat and is extremely repeatable in doing so dta as a company are also excellent too deal with those guys are there for you theye want you to enjoy the rifle. everything on the dta srs can be chopped and changed easily to meet you're needs if you wanna change too a shorter rail no problem if you want a custom caliber made it is easy too get the dta srs is in a class of it's own it out performs all of its competition with ease ..I have consistently been able to get .25 moa groups out of min in 338 lapua with hand loads I was critical of this rifle before buying it as it was very different too any thing I had used but I can say it will not disappoint you in any regard it's a well thought out work of art and the price is actualy more reasonable then most other platforms in it's class ...

Last edited by Gamedogs4life; 12-03-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Typo