Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best For .22 Air Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best For .22 Air Rifle

I have a .22 Air Rifle, and now I want to get a scope for my air rifle. I've searched times from google and of course get many scopes, but I'm a freshman for hunting, I have no ideal about how to choose a suitable scope for my rifle, so can you recommend me some scopes. And my budget is about $150.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1349 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 459

You need an air rifle scope. An air rifle needs a scope that will withstand both forward and back recoil. I would check out www.midwayusa.com and natchezss.com both have Christmas sales. You can not put a regular rifle scope on a air rifle.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

+100 on John Deer.

I have the one below on 2 of my air rifles , they are made for recoil of air rifle recoil.
I have had good luck with this scope. They hold zero.
Has AO, which is good for close up targets, and the optics are very clear.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-Illuminated-4-16x40mm-Scope/17173797

Jim

Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You need an air rifle scope. An air rifle needs a scope that will withstand both forward and back recoil. I would check out www.midwayusa.com and natchezss.com both have Christmas sales. You can not put a regular rifle scope on a air rifle.
True to an extent. Pneumatic (pump & CO2) air rifles don't have the two way whip action the spring piston guns have. So, theoretically, you could get away with a more general purpose scope on those. That said, Air Gun specific designs are still the best choice because they are designed to work at the distances airguns are used.
http://www.straightshooters.com/choosing-an-airgun-scope.html

Quote:
Choosing an Airgun Scope

Before going into a lot of detail about scopes, you should be aware of the two following points:
1. If you shoot a recoilless airgun such as a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP), single-cock pneumatic (10 meter match gun) or CO2 airgun, you can use any scope on our site.
2. If you shoot a spring airgun, you will need to choose a scope that matches the recoil rating of your airgun.
Ultimately, there are only two features that make an airgun scope different than a firearm scope. An adjustable objective and optics that are anchored to handle the two way recoil of a spring airgun. Let's look a little closer at these features.

Adjustable Objective
An adjustable objective is a feature that allows the shooter to "focus" for any distance from a very close distance 10 yards or meters to infinity. Most firearm scopes are parallax set for 100 yards or more to accommodate the long distance shooting requirements of a hunting firearm. Airgun scopes, however, must allow the shooter to adjust the parallax to accommodate for shorter airgun distances. This feature is necessary to achieve the maximum accuracy in an airgun.

Anchored Optics
Anchored optics refer to optics that are anchored front and back to handle the forward and backward recoil caused by the mainspring's movement. Recoil in a spring airgun is different than recoil in a firearm in the sense that it isn't only the amount of recoil that matters, but the direction of the recoil as well. Mainsprings cause an airgun to recoil backward and forward while firearms only recoil in a backward direction. It is this two-direction recoil that can cause damage to non-airgun rated scopes.

Scopes designed for firearms have optics anchored to handle the backward movement of the recoil. Airgun scopes require that optics be anchored to handle the two-way recoil generated by the mainspring. But there is a catch to this feature so check our recoil ratings very carefully. Even though a manufacturer may rate a scope for airguns, it may not handle all spring airguns. Some airgun rated scopes are designed to handle only light recoil airguns while others are built to handle the medium and high recoil spring airguns. All rifles shown on our site will show a Recoil Rating of Low, Medium, High or No Recoil. All scopes will also show whether they are made for Low, Medium or High Recoil rifles.
http://www.airgundepot.com/airgunscopes.html
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Axxe55 Likes This