Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Berger vld hunting bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Berger vld hunting bullets.

My hat is off to Berger bullets. I started shooting Berger vld hunting bullets in my .270 win. Even though I didn't load for max velocity or best bullet for long range, I can't believe the destruction of these bullets. I shot both my whitetail and my elk this year at a little farther than 500 yards. I couldn't get closer without the animal spoking, and I knew that I could put the bullet where I wanted at that range. Hard to believe on my whitetail which was quartering away still got a pass through shot with bullet fragmentation completely destroying the vitals. My elk just unbelief damage to drop it in is tracks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #2

Liked 122 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 64

That's what I've heard. I loaded up some for my 30-06 but was not able to get a decent shot on elk this year. I had one around 500 yards but I leave those to you professional sniper guys.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk-acholic
My hat is off to Berger bullets. I started shooting Berger vld hunting bullets in my .270 win. Even though I didn't load for max velocity or best bullet for long range, I can't believe the destruction of these bullets. I shot both my whitetail and my elk this year at a little farther than 500 yards. I couldn't get closer without the animal spoking, and I knew that I could put the bullet where I wanted at that range. Hard to believe on my whitetail which was quartering away still got a pass through shot with bullet fragmentation completely destroying the vitals. My elk just unbelief damage to drop it in is tracks.
I use berger vld in my 338 an only berger vld in it. Its like throwin a vw beetle at an elk at 3000 fps

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #4

Likes Given: 1

I like to hear these statements. I'm gonna load some of these for my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero after the first of the year. I might have to try some of these in my 270 too.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #5

Liked 122 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I had to mess around with the seating and powder quite a bit. I just about gave up on em until the bright idea of going with norm COAL hit me. Once you find the sweet spot...it's on.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1077 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 505

I shoot a lot of Berger VLD bullets in .257 and .308 calibers.They are great bullets!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982
I like to hear these statements. I'm gonna load some of these for my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero after the first of the year. I might have to try some of these in my 270 too.
How do you like your Sendero?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts

I was with a friend a few weeks ago who dropped his elk at 250 yards using a Berger 140-grain bullet that he had loaded for his .280. The elk dropped to his knees instantly. That bullet really did it's job.

I haven't shot any through my rifles, I've been a Nosler and Sierra guy, but I'm definitely going to give Berger a try.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk-acholic View Post
How do you like your Sendero?
To be honest, I haven't shot it a ton yet. I bought it a week before deer season, it took me 8 shots to sight it in without a bore sight. Then I shot 2 deer in 2 shots within 15-20 seconds of each other. I have a 6-24x Vortex Crossfire on it(will upgrade someday, although a great scope for the money), and a Harris Bipod. The little I have shot it to this point, it's awesmoe. It is a heavier gun though, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Absorbs a lot of recoil, probably has almost less kick than my 270 because of it. I really like it. I would like to get a good load with 168gr VLD's and work on a little long range stuff. I don't mean extreme long range but if I were descent to 700yds, I'd be pleased.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982

To be honest, I haven't shot it a ton yet. I bought it a week before deer season, it took me 8 shots to sight it in without a bore sight. Then I shot 2 deer in 2 shots within 15-20 seconds of each other. I have a 6-24x Vortex Crossfire on it(will upgrade someday, although a great scope for the money), and a Harris Bipod. The little I have shot it to this point, it's awesmoe. It is a heavier gun though, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Absorbs a lot of recoil, probably has almost less kick than my 270 because of it. I really like it. I would like to get a good load with 168gr VLD's and work on a little long range stuff. I don't mean extreme long range but if I were descent to 700yds, I'd be pleased.
Ok sweet. I was looking into getting one in a .264 win mag but found out that the barrel life isn't very good on the 6.5 cal so maybe look at a 7mm but a friend of mine had one and he said it felt funny in the prone position. So now I don't really know what to think. I would like to shoot one. I too looking at long range but not so much for hunting but just as a hobby. Looking at everything though.