Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Berger Bullets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/berger-bullets-47502/)

mrb1982 08-29-2011 07:38 PM

Berger Bullets

I am looking at loading some 168gr Berger bullets for my 7mm Rem Mag and 130gr Berger's for my 270. I know that they have worked great with the 7mm, but has anybody loaded these in a 270 and were you happy with them?

Txhillbilly 08-31-2011 03:47 AM

I don't shoot any 270 caliber,but I do shoot a lot of Berger bullets in .257 and .308 calibers.
I shoot 115gr VLD's in my 25/06,and 185gr & 210gr VLD's with my 308's,30/06,and 300 Win Mag.

Berger makes some great shooting/hunting bullets,but they do like to be seated out to the lands,and most rifles are turned into single shots from the OAL of the cartridges with the Berger bullets.
I've tried loading them to magazine length in all of my rifles,but the accuracy really fell off from changing the OAL. But then,I'm anal when I have a bullet that shoots 1/4-1/2" groups,and when I make it fit the magazine it opens up to 1 1/4-1 1/2" groups. I'll keep on loading one at a time!

mrb1982 09-01-2011 01:03 PM

Crap, I don't really want my gun to be a single shot preferably.

I was reading on the website that the usually seat better with set of the lands a little, but that of course is per gun. I wonder if this is a frequent thing or not. They seem like a great bullet, right in the grain size I would like to shoot, perfect for the kind of hunting I do.

Txhillbilly 09-01-2011 02:57 PM

What makes the Berger's so accurate is the length of the bullet,they are a really long bullet.The ogive is further back on the body of it,and you can really stretch them out before they are close to the lands.
My 25/06 OAL with the Berger 115gr VLD's are .400 longer than the magazine length,and still .20 off the lands.They almost won't fit in an ammo box,they're so long.But man,those suckers shoot great.

I also really like Sierra Gameking,and Nosler Combined Technology Silvertip's for hunting.They shoot excellent out of all my rifles,and they might work for you.They all fit in the magazine with my loads.

mrb1982 09-02-2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 572939)
What makes the Berger's so accurate is the length of the bullet,they are a really long bullet.The ogive is further back on the body of it,and you can really stretch them out before they are close to the lands.
My 25/06 OAL with the Berger 115gr VLD's are .400 longer than the magazine length,and still .20 off the lands.They almost won't fit in an ammo box,they're so long.But man,those suckers shoot great.

I also really like Sierra Gameking,and Nosler Combined Technology Silvertip's for hunting.They shoot excellent out of all my rifles,and they might work for you.They all fit in the magazine with my loads.

I have shot Sierra Gameking 150gr in my old 7mm Rem Mag Reming 700, and they are probably my second choice. I know some would frown upon shooting 150gr to shoot an elk, but I really have no fear about it to be honest. I know a lot of guys who have shot a lot smaller. If Sierra made a 165-170gr boat tail I wouldn't even be thinking about the Berger, but they just from 160 to 175 and I don't really care to go that high I guess, personal preference. I might consider the 160's, but for the little bit of gain in grain, it doens't really entice me. I would prefer to shoot 150 or 165, not in between I guess. I'm picky like that.