You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Bell and carlson stock ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bell and carlson stock ???

So I ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock for my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm, I installed the action and noticed that there was pressure points in the front end of the barrel channel. Just wondering I thought that the whole point of a bedded stock was to free float the barrel. I am going to contact Bell and Carlson but I just thought that I would see if anyone had any thought on this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
So I ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock for my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm, I installed the action and noticed that there was pressure points in the front end of the barrel channel. Just wondering I thought that the whole point of a bedded stock was to free float the barrel. I am going to contact Bell and Carlson but I just thought that I would see if anyone had any thought on this.
I've just ordered one for my Vanguard too! I think all of the Weatherby synthetic stocks have use upward pressure on the barrel, I'd say B&C have employed the same philosophy for their Weatherby stock.

There are two options to float the barrel, either sand down the pressure points on your stock or glass bed the rifle on top of the aluminum bedding block. Personally, I'm going to shoot my rifle with the new stock to check accuracy before I decide whether to float it or not, sometimes sporter-weight barrels actually shoot better with upward pressure on them anyway.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #3

I took mine out and it put 5 rounds all within about 3" at 100 yards, I'm not judging the rifle on that I didnt have a very solid rest just sitting off some sticks, when I get a chance to shoot it from a bench I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #4

Thanks, that'll be awesome. I'm still waiting on mine to get here, even when it does I don't know when I'll be able to get a chance to shoot it though

Any chance of some pics??

Old 04-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #5

Liked 54 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
That pad is there to give you the option of keeping it or removing it. Sandpaper on a dowel will do short work of it if you indeed want a fully free floated barrel. Shooting off sticks is not a good way to judge potential accuracy. You need a solid bench and sandbags at the very least. Has anyone taught you good bench technique?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

I know I just happened to be going out to my buddies property and it was just kind of a quick thing I'm gonna try and get it out to the range and I'll let you guys know

Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #7

Called up Bell and Carlson, they said that they build there stocks to Weatherby factory specs and that removing the pressure points would void warranty and could cause accuracy issues. I might give weatherby a call and see if there is any reason that I couldn't free float the barrel.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Called up Bell and Carlson, they said that they build there stocks to Weatherby factory specs and that removing the pressure points would void warranty and could cause accuracy issues. I might give weatherby a call and see if there is any reason that I couldn't free float the barrel.
Bell and carlson stock ??? - General Rifle Discussion

I'll await your response before I do anything with mine then!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 AM   #9

Wambli, just wondering what you mean by good bench techniques, I been shooting off a lead slead off of a overbuilt wood bench, always thought this was about as good as it gets, but I still new accurate shooting most of my shooting has of the school of thought that if it will kill a deer its good enough, and any advice would be great, Thanks

Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Not all rifles like to be free floated, Mossy. Play around with it some more.

Did you torque the action screws?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."