Being gifted a rifle out of state... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Being gifted a rifle out of state...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

If it is a gift from a family member, it is legal. Put it in the trunk and take it home.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #12

Liked 1291 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Legal and untraceable are not the same thing, just sayin.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #13

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Back ground check

I'm not 100% sure but I was told by a sales person at an outfitters retail store in Pa. that you cannot transfer ownership (whether it be from an individual or a liscensed dealer) of any firearm other than a muzzle loader without an ATF background check at the time of said transfer.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #14

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Legal and untraceable are not the same thing, just sayin.
Exactly my thoughts. I havent gotten a chance to get to a gun store here in NH to ask though, so I'm just curious, and figured y'all might know

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I was told by a sales person at an outfitters retail store in Pa. that you cannot transfer ownership (whether it be from an individual or a liscensed dealer) of any firearm other than a muzzle loader without an ATF background check at the time of said transfer.
I dont think this is true in all states...in NV I can sell anyone a rifle and they just take it, but in all my bills of sale i make sure to put that they have stated they are legally able to own a firearm.

The same goes for pistols. Private party pistol sales in NV are easy. Hand you the money, hand em the gun, its their responsibility to get it registered.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 12-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's one for you! I bought my new Savage Model 10 from Cabela's in Nevada. I'm and Oregon resident. They sold me the rifle, did the background check and carried it out of the store where I was presented with my purchase to take home.

I know, different; but this is how convoluted our gun laws are and why most people are scared to death they will be arrested under one or more of these statutes.

Please post what you find out!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10088 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 1608

I am not a lawyer (Not qualified- Mom & Dad were married) BUT-

The situation as described in the original post is NOT legal, and IS a violation of Federal law. That law governs TRANSFER of ownership. There are two categories of people- licensed (holds a FFL) and unlicensed.

An unlicensed person can transfer a firearm to another unlicensed resident of their own state. They CANNOT transfer to resident of another state.

A licensed person may transfer a rifle or shotgun to a resident of any state (unless their state law prohibits it) and may transfer a handgun to resident of the licensed person's state.

A licensed person can transfer to any other licensed person.

While you can probably put the rifle in your trunk, and drive home, IF the Feds decide to go after you for whatever reason, they have you- and you will not have another gun ever.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You may not like this answer, but just call ATF and ask them. If it is a bonified gift, I don't see any problem. If you don't want them to get your number use your local payphone, or do that *__ thingy to block your number on outgoing calls.

I recently acquired several guns from a friend when her husband passed away, and "adopted out" several others, there was no paperwork done on any of the weapons or ammo, it was a private collection.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....