Being gifted a rifle out of state...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Being gifted a rifle out of state...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Being gifted a rifle out of state...

This thought occured to me.

I understand that when buying a gun out of state, the dealer or selling in your non-home state would have to ship through an FFL in your home state, and whatnot, in order to make the transaction legal.

But what if you are gifted a gun, say, for christmas, by a relative who lives in a different state? Do you need to transfer it through an FFL?

Im just wondering how it works, and It got me thinking...especially if both states dont have registration of rifles.

So, say i leave my home, go and get a gun for christmas in a state that doesnt have registration, then how would I get it back to my state? Does it have to be shipped to an FFL? I'm not saying this is right, but essentially...neither state would know about the gun belonging to anyone, theres no record of transfer or anything, and it doesnt need to be registered. Seems like I could just take it with me and that's that.

So, what would be the propor procedure?

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

I dont see any issue with traveling to pick it up and bringing it home, I dont think its illegal(but I could be wrong) Just be sure to travel with it stowed securely.
So whatcha gettin?
Good luck!

Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I don't know if there is a "proper" procedure, but I've always lived in pretty gun friendly states and have been pulled over with multiple rifles and shotguns visible and never been asked a question or really even given it thought. If your state has a law that requires you to register all firearms, then that's a different story.

This may fall into the Legal and Politics section? Not really a rifle question.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe you only need to use an FFL when shipping it through the postal service of other mail carrier, ie UPS or Fed-X. I don't believe that transporting legal firearms in this country is against the law as of yet, of course, don't blink, this could change.

In many states, firearms must be transported in a case designed for firearms. Check with the various states that you will be traveling through to determine whether the case need to be locked, the firearm needs to be separate from ammunitions, or the case locked.

People transport firearms as luggage via airplane all over the United States without problems except for the havoc reeked by baggage personal.

And as far as that whole firearm registration thing goes;
I believe that it is our social duty as free Americans to amass as many firearms that are not directly linked to us to keep said firearms out of the hands of the truly evil people, "bad guys and the government".

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 12-20-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #5

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well the reason I ask is that I know I cannot sell a gun to someone out of state, even if they are there in person, without having it go through an FFL. That's illegal, especially if the buyers state requires registration.

I'm not asking about how to transport it, just what the procedure would be. If I walk into a gun store here in NH, then buy a gun, they cant hand it to me, at least I dont think they can? Doesnt it have to be sent to an FFL in nevada, where I live?

So I'm wondering about a private party gifting situation. The bottom line I'm getting at is that neither NH nor NV care who the gun belongs to. You dont register it, but I'm still willing to bet a 3rd party FFL has to be involved.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #6

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

I don't see any legality issues at all. You are allowed by law to handle and own the weapon in question in both states correct? And in between is just transportation... Say you were borrrowing a weapon for a large hunt of something (not a hunter myself)... So, You go to Pennsylvania to visit your brother for Christmas and he shows you his new, shiny rifle with a scope that can see into the stratosphere. You mention how great it would be on your hunt and he says "use it". So, your hunt is in Nebraska, your home state.... Do you need to FFL it home just for the hunt? Not as far as I know. Kinda the same situation... You just won't be returning the "borrowed' weapon.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If it is legal and you are legal shipping has to go to FFL from state to state. If you are picking it up and bringing it back with you then you put it in the back of teh truck or car and just dive it home. Not a big deal.

It is up to you to know the laws of both states and make sure you adhear to them.

CPT Tango Esquire.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dr. you can sell a firearm to anyone you please to, although, you should get their drivers license info to cover your own butt.

There are separate laws governing who license firearms dealers can sell firearms to. These laws differ from state to state. For example, I cannot sell a long gun to a person from Alabama, but I can sell a long gun to a person from Illinois as long as they have a FOID card and wait 24 hours.

As far as I know, private sales of firearms are unregulated, although, there may be state laws that pertain here.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 12-20-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #9

Liked 1087 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Consult with an expert like a lawyer or at least an FFL who might be able to point you to legal guidance on this subject.

But my opinion is this.

It's illegal.

It may be legal for a resident of state X to sell a rifle to a resident of state X with no paperwork. The same may be true for State Y to State Y transaction. However even though it's legal for both of you to sell to your own states residents you enter federal territory when you are residents of different states, making state laws irrelevant. But if you bought the same gun at a gun show from some random person, it would be a legal transaction. Are we thoroughly confused yet?

Again though its just my opinion.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have no idea whether it would be legal or not but if it was me I'd just take it home. Make SURE it's never been reported stolen however.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!