Before we forget:The Mauser K 98
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Before we forget:The Mauser K 98

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Before we forget:The Mauser K 98

We all know this rifle, we all know it's leggendary story.We all know it can be considered as the REAL father of all bolt-action rifles.

Yes, I'm talking about the Mauser K 98, even known as Kar 98.Solid(Cold Steel and Wood),reliable(The best bolt mechanism ever made and used), accurate(with proper sights/optics 900m can be easely reached), powerfull(8mm Mauser(7,92x57...a real beast).It was widely copied, converted and widely used by many countries till nowadays(over 17 millions has been produced, much more than the M16).

I'm wondering why a new Kar 98 was never been designed nor produced(The K98 was produced from 1935-1945 by the Nazi Germany).If we don't take in consideration its infamous fate (Nazi usage), there is no other reason for not bringing its design (and its name name) to a new level, including its presence on the modern battlefields(by serving as a sniper rifle).Mauser still produces a kind of an upgraded version of the rifle (the M98) but it is just a hunter rifle, not what it was suppose/deserves to be:A modern sniper rifle.

For those who still think that this rifle is too ''antiquate'' to be re-used just take this in consideration:

Let's say that someone has a Dragunov (which was manufactured today and is chambered in 7,62x54r).He shot you.Your high-level-military-made body armor was not pierced.Then the same person who shot takes the Mauser K 98,chambered in 7,92x57r).He shot.The body armor has just being pierced and you're dying.Yes, it can still pierce even the best/newest high-tech body armor...

I personally tried an original Kar 98(the Swatikas were etched and still visible) and the Yugo M48.Trust me:It deserves to rise from the ashes.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?Should they work on the kar 98 design?What would you suggest to bring it back to its glory?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well mauser is making k98 it just not k98 it just like. Just with upgardes they went in hunting rifle and that all they make is high class hunting rifle. U can buy yogo near for 200 bucks or go mauser website and pay 1000 for new m9 witch new verson same gun

Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #3

But there have been a few sporting rifles almost identical to the M98 produced over the years.
Parker Hale
Interarms Mark X
Winchester Model 70 (pre 64)
Husqvarna
Browning FN
Herters J9
just to name a few.
cottontop

Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #4

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My favorite rifle is my k98. With reloads its as accurate as any modern day rifle.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #5

Liked 733 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 761

The Parker Hale (Mauser made action)
Interams X (FN made)
Husqvarna (1947, 10,000 Receivers were purchase from FN, built on from 1947 to 1962, less then 800 per year, Came out w/ small ring '98 1900 line afterwards, Large ring after that)
FN (Browning or not)
Herters (FN Receivers)
were all true '98 actions built on original equipment of eqaul copies.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5809 Times on 3032 Posts
Likes Given: 398

i think that everyone, without exception, that has copied the mauser action has done it better than mauser. i think thats a big reason you dont see it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #7

Just picked up a M48 of the yugo type, great old rifle and it has a long history and intresting too

more reloading means more quality weapons

Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1277 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeuropeangoth View Post
We all know this rifle, we all know it's leggendary story.We all know it can be considered as the REAL father of all bolt-action rifles.

Yes, I'm talking about the Mauser K 98, even known as Kar 98.Solid(Cold Steel and Wood),reliable(The best bolt mechanism ever made and used), accurate(with proper sights/optics 900m can be easely reached), powerfull(8mm Mauser(7,92x57...a real beast).It was widely copied, converted and widely used by many countries till nowadays(over 17 millions has been produced, much more than the M16).

I'm wondering why a new Kar 98 was never been designed nor produced(The K98 was produced from 1935-1945 by the Nazi Germany).If we don't take in consideration its infamous fate (Nazi usage), there is no other reason for not bringing its design (and its name name) to a new level, including its presence on the modern battlefields(by serving as a sniper rifle).Mauser still produces a kind of an upgraded version of the rifle (the M98) but it is just a hunter rifle, not what it was suppose/deserves to be:A modern sniper rifle.

For those who still think that this rifle is too ''antiquate'' to be re-used just take this in consideration:

Let's say that someone has a Dragunov (which was manufactured today and is chambered in 7,62x54r).He shot you.Your high-level-military-made body armor was not pierced.Then the same person who shot takes the Mauser K 98,chambered in 7,92x57r).He shot.The body armor has just being pierced and you're dying.Yes, it can still pierce even the best/newest high-tech body armor...

I personally tried an original Kar 98(the Swatikas were etched and still visible) and the Yugo M48.Trust me:It deserves to rise from the ashes.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?Should they work on the kar 98 design?What would you suggest to bring it back to its glory?
I am going to argue with you on one & one point only, (The best bolt mechanism ever made and used) In strength I will give it to Mauser, In ease of operation I am going to give that one to Enfield, that`s all I got

When all else fails.