Been thinking of a K98 Mauser
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Been thinking of a K98 Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Been thinking of a K98 Mauser

And a Garand...and a M1A...and an AK....and a M1 Carbine...

What's the general consensus of these? Is it advisable to get one with a scope? Would it decrease value to drill and tap one of these babies? Is ammo easy to find? Where is a reputable website to get them from? How far out can they reach? Is there a better model than a K98? So many questions, so little time

They are real lookers and getting one has been on my mind for some time now I just wanted to hear from people with personal experience and things to look for before buying another fantastic WWII rifle.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #2

I don't favor semi autos at all so I can't help you with those, but as far as a K98 Mauser goes, most are great shooters and highly collectable. The "K" means it is the shorter carbine version of the 98 Mauser. If the receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope mount, then all of your collector value is gone. However, if you are young with good eyes, you should be able to get pretty good accuracy with the original open sights at 50 to 100 yards. You could also get a scope mount that mounts directly to the rear sight and allows a long eye relief or "scout" type scope to be installed so that no drilling or tapping is required and the collector value is not compromised. The K98 fires an 8x57 or 8mm Mauser round. The round is still loaded by several of the large ammo companies, though it is loaded mild as a factory load. A handloader can load it to its full potential. It is a great round that will do anything a .30-06 will do and even more with heavier bullets. Military ammo used to be cheap and plentiful but is drying up as of late. One of my 8x57 rifles is one of the most accurate rifles I own, though it is a Husqvarna built on the M96 action. You might consider a M48 Yugo rifle which is basically a shortened M98. They are extremely well made and strong and are selling for a very reasonable price at the moment. Check out gunbroker.com.
cottontop

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. If I were to get a scope I would probably get the long eye relief mount you're talking about. I've seen them for the Mosin but I've never actually used a scout scope before and have heard mixed reviews on them. Do you have any personal experience using one before?

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #4

No, sorry to say, but I have never used a scout scope. I have heard that they are ok, just take some getting used to. I am a traditional scope guy and some habits are hard to break, especially for grouchy old farts like me.
cottontop

Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #5

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I had a scout scope on a beat up old 91/30 its not exactly high magnification but it gets the job done well. I had no complaints abput it

Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6359 Times on 3553 Posts
Likes Given: 5933

I had a great Mouser years ago. But she ran off with a raccoon!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #7

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I don't favor semi autos at all so I can't help you with those, but as far as a K98 Mauser goes, most are great shooters and highly collectable. The "K" means it is the shorter carbine version of the 98 Mauser. If the receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope mount, then all of your collector value is gone. However, if you are young with good eyes, you should be able to get pretty good accuracy with the original open sights at 50 to 100 yards. You could also get a scope mount that mounts directly to the rear sight and allows a long eye relief or "scout" type scope to be installed so that no drilling or tapping is required and the collector value is not compromised. The K98 fires an 8x57 or 8mm Mauser round. The round is still loaded by several of the large ammo companies, though it is loaded mild as a factory load. A handloader can load it to its full potential. It is a great round that will do anything a .30-06 will do and even more with heavier bullets. Military ammo used to be cheap and plentiful but is drying up as of late. One of my 8x57 rifles is one of the most accurate rifles I own, though it is a Husqvarna built on the M96 action. You might consider a M48 Yugo rifle which is basically a shortened M98. They are extremely well made and strong and are selling for a very reasonable price at the moment. Check out gunbroker.com.
cottontop

The most accurate '98 variants I've owned have been Yugo 24/47's. You can use a scout mount if you desire, but they are accurate enough without them. You can't mount a standard scope on them without a smith modifing the bolt handle. Here is a 1945 DOU K98k w/ a low turret mount.

24/47's

Codes on 24/47's to look for. TRZ1. 5.TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I had a great Mouser years ago. But she ran off with a raccoon!
Thje Raccoon ate the cat!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

The most accurate '98 variants I've owned have been Yugo 24/47's. You can use a scout mount if you desire, but they are accurate enough without them. You can't mount a standard scope on them without a smith modifing the bolt handle. Here is a 1945 DOU K98k w/ a low turret mount.

24/47's

Codes on 24/47's to look for. TRZ1. 5.TRZ

Thje Raccoon ate the cat!!
Those are nice rifles...what do they usually go for?

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #9

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts