bbl life - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > bbl life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2216 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Stainless or carbon steel?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #12

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I have a custom 7 mag that was capible of the same very small groups as a hunter 15 years later. A shoot it to check before season or when traveling and hunt only.
I agree. It is not a range gun, it is a hunter. I just showed my F series Savage 110 to a few friends. They were blown away at the rifle in general. What really got one was the weight. It is a Sierra lite, only made for 2 years in the early 1990's. I bought it new. Still as pristine as the day I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
"Rate of fire"....prolly has more to do with brrl life than anything.

One of my sons got a 7mm in a TC.Using factory ammo as a source for cases.....has been a slight problem.Its loaded so hot from the factory that case "life" seems to be shorten'd.Iows,if reloading...you'd be money ahead to start with fresh cases.Its one of those calibre's thats pretty hot loaded from the factory.That and along with headspace issues(belted).I was just a little suprised at how fast cases showed signs of failure?
I'd have the chamber checked. I've used plenty of factory ammo and never found it "hot". Headspace is only an issue on any cartridge if there is an issue w/ the chamber. Also, you should Aneal the cases before reloading.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Don't have headspace gauges in this cal,but have cerosafe...I may check chamber.

Yes,need to anneal...being lazy.Just not used to case failure @5 loadings,first-factory,subsequent loads were "starting" loads.Case separated at base.