Battle rifle - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Battle rifle

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TooStrongTerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 288
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Back in 95 I bought a Russian SKS imported my KBI of an Army buddy for $75.00!

Best gun buy I've ever made.

Tack
Think u can do it again? I've got $75 lol
__________________
TooStrongTerry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Georgiahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 506
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Well technically a .30/30 would be considered more of a battle rifle than an AR because it is a full power cartridge. If I were looking for rifles in a SHTF situation then I would go with a 10/22 and a good 30/30. Both will kill a man and anyone who thinks differently will not live to long. In my opinion the need for a battle rifle means that you are in way more trouble than you can easily handle and that you will run out of ammo before your opposition will. If this is the case you better be fighting your way to a vehicle or escape route. ARs are nice and fun rifles to shoot, but, IMHO, if someone buys one solely for SHTF then they are buying one for the wrong reason. A .22, to me, would be a much more logical choice.

__________________
Georgiahunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TooStrongTerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 288
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiahunter
Well technically a .30/30 would be considered more of a battle rifle than an AR because it is a full power cartridge. If I were looking for rifles in a SHTF situation then I would go with a 10/22 and a good 30/30. Both will kill a man and anyone who thinks differently will not live to long. In my opinion the need for a battle rifle means that you are in way more trouble than you can easily handle and that you will run out of ammo before your opposition will. If this is the case you better be fighting your way to a vehicle or escape route. ARs are nice and fun rifles to shoot, but, IMHO, if someone buys one solely for SHTF then they are buying one for the wrong reason. A .22, to me, would be a much more logical choice.
A 22 for a battle rifle? I think the military picks there battle rifles for practical usefulness in tactical combat situations. The US got rid of the 308 as their main cartridge cuz it was "overkill" although a 30-30 would be a happy medium...between a trained Ar15 user and a very talented lever action shooter...the AR would obviously have its advantages. But nonetheless both would work.
__________________
TooStrongTerry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Georgiahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 506
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
A 22 for a battle rifle? I think the military picks there battle rifles for practical usefulness in tactical combat situations. The US got rid of the 308 as their main cartridge cuz it was "overkill" although a 30-30 would be a happy medium...between a trained Ar15 user and a very talented lever action shooter...the AR would obviously have its advantages. But nonetheless both would work.
Bear in mind that the .223 is still a .22 caliber round just with more powder. I believe that with the tradeoff in powder you get to carry much more ammo with a .22. It makes perfect sense for the military to use .223 because of their numbers and large amount of supplies. However, in a SHTF scenario you will be with a small group of people with limited supplies that you must carry everywhere you go. IMHO, a .22 would be much more practical for this. If you are engaging targets past 75 yards I would bring in a .308 bolt action to do the job. I will admit that a .22 is a bit underpowered and that a 30/30 lever action loses its advantage with stopping power because of the time it takes to reload, but I have yet to find a happy medium that will allow all of the advantages to come into play. Maybe a carbine chambered in a pistol caliber? The ammo would still be very easy to carry and would allow stopping power as well as fast reloading. However, the limited reach would also be a set back. It really depends on the type of SHTF scenario we are talking about and whether you plan to bug out or hunker down.
__________________
Georgiahunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 3,055
Liked 1509 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3280

Default

If they had only got the 10/22 in .22mag right.

A good semi auto in .22 mag would be nice if SHTF.

__________________
TLuker is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TooStrongTerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 288
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
If they had only got the 10/22 in .22mag right.

A good semi auto in .22 mag would be nice if SHTF.
Why not a 22 mag lever?


And I plan on buggin out. My house is by NO means any type of safe house/bunker.
__________________
TooStrongTerry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TooStrongTerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 288
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiahunter

Bear in mind that the .223 is still a .22 caliber round just with more powder. I believe that with the tradeoff in powder you get to carry much more ammo with a .22. It makes perfect sense for the military to use .223 because of their numbers and large amount of supplies. However, in a SHTF scenario you will be with a small group of people with limited supplies that you must carry everywhere you go. IMHO, a .22 would be much more practical for this. If you are engaging targets past 75 yards I would bring in a .308 bolt action to do the job. I will admit that a .22 is a bit underpowered and that a 30/30 lever action loses its advantage with stopping power because of the time it takes to reload, but I have yet to find a happy medium that will allow all of the advantages to come into play. Maybe a carbine chambered in a pistol caliber? The ammo would still be very easy to carry and would allow stopping power as well as fast reloading. However, the limited reach would also be a set back. It really depends on the type of SHTF scenario we are talking about and whether you plan to bug out or hunker down.
Since 30-30 is in between 223 and 308 I think your right about it being a happy medium. Its kind of light too. One good advantage is you can top it off at any moment and don't need the hassle of carrying magazines for it....lighten down the carry.
__________________
TooStrongTerry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Since 30-30 is in between 223 and 308 I think your right about it being a happy medium. Its kind of light too. One good advantage is you can top it off at any moment and don't need the hassle of carrying magazines for it....lighten down the carry.
You guys re: the .22 Mag sound like me. Of course the .22 LR is an absurd choice regardless how often it is parroted -- it is the weakest cartridge around and if somebody MADE you limit yourself to that you'd cry.

.22 Mag offers twice the power at least with the same features and benefits of the .22 LR except price basically.

As for the .30-30, at this point the 7.62x39mm or 6.8 SPC would probably be fair choices.

Do some guys just write the first thing they come up with or the last thing they heard? No offense meant. "Hey, remember, a .25-06 is a .25 like a .25 ACP except for more powder too."
25-acp-vs-25-06.jpg  
__________________

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-18-2012 at 03:09 AM.
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Silvertip 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Acworth, Georgia
Posts: 367
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

CMP is still selling Garands and you can probably get one within that $1000 bracket.

__________________
Silvertip 44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 3,055
Liked 1509 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Why not a 22 mag lever?


And I plan on buggin out. My house is by NO means any type of safe house/bunker.
I love a lever actions for sentimental reasons, but levers are slower than clip feed semi auto's and for me that makes clip feed semi auto's better. Similarly levers are faster than single shots and that's why levers were better when they came out.
__________________
TLuker is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Best 30-caliber battle rifle? CHLChris Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 154 02-16-2012 05:21 AM
PSL or FPK as battle rifle? Caoimhin Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 3 01-23-2012 07:37 PM
Who hear knows about the sig 550 battle rifle Seanbo123 General Rifle Discussion 0 11-18-2011 12:14 AM
Looking for good battle rifle suvivalistandguns General Rifle Discussion 25 10-05-2011 01:15 PM
Battle Rifle M500 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 150 12-17-2010 12:37 AM