Barrels - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6184 Times on 3256 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster74 View Post
I'm changing the barrel cause I want to. I don't like the stock barrel with fixed front sight. I'm real sorry if I'm an inconvenience to you all. I didn't know it was a big deal to ask questions. I see on other thread about 24 barrel do funny things to reciever but never explained any further. So I asked the question on this thread to see if I got response. I'm still figure in out what length I want. I know 20 is more than enough. Was just goin for look. Real sorry I posted anything at all. In future I will not

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Its hard for me to keep track of conversations if they stretch over several.threads.

Anyway what i meant by it doimg funky stuff. Is the weight of the barrel can be a problem when you go super long in a ar15. It can cause bad harmonics to show up since the barrel only sits in a smooth hole in the receiver held in by pressure of a nut only. You start to get some warp going on.

The other thing is extending the barrel too far out (21+ inches) tends to have a negative effect on accuracy. The longer the barrel the more it can whip around as the bullet travels down the tube. Shorter thick barrels are more rigid and a bit better at giving repeatable shots as they heat up and cool down.

You see 24+ barrels in varmint guns not because of the long range accuracy but because a longer barrel has more mass so it heats up a bit slower allowing a few more shots before the prairie dogger has to let it cool.

Ive got about a half dozen ar15 of different types. The most accurate are 20" barrels followed very closely by 18" ones.

The 556/223 is a 600 yard cartridge. Adding 4 more inches is not going to get you to 700... it really does nothing except in my add negatives. More weight and more vibration.

You can build how you want i just think its a huge mistake hanging a long barrel on a ar15.

Way back military arms makers used long barrels to get the front sight as far out as they could to increase sight radius of iron sights. Today we dont need to do that and using a good optic means we do not have to hamstring our rifles with over long barrels in order to line up on a distant target.

Using iron sights length means accuracy because the margin of error of iron sights is far greater than the negative effects of a long barrel. In other words the barrel can outshoot the user with iron sights.

When you use a modern optical system you start to run into a situation where its possible for the user to outshoot the mechanicalmaccuracy of the barrel and thats where shorter barrels show their benefit

So this brings us back to the ar15. Sights are limited by the either the length of the handguard or length of the gas system. So you get no benefit from extending an ar15 barrel since your not going much past a max of a 18" sight radius.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

fa35jsf Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know I had two threads. One being barrel length and one asking about stag arms barrel quality. I should have stuck with one thread but didn't think about it. I just like the look of a 24 in barrel. But if it's gonna tear my gun up I'm not gonna Just wanted a pros opinion I've got several 20 inch barrels. Just was thinking something different and like the look. I don't want to be a bother to you and my feeling not hurt. You guys are helping I know I'm not gonna get more accuracy and I know it's gonna be heavier. Just don't wanna hurt the gun. I like the look of the stag arms barrel. But if they are junk I'll pursue another company. Am leaning for a 20 in still just unsure

Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6184 Times on 3256 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster74 View Post
I know I had two threads. One being barrel length and one asking about stag arms barrel quality. I should have stuck with one thread but didn't think about it. I just like the look of a 24 in barrel. But if it's gonna tear my gun up I'm not gonna Just wanted a pros opinion I've got several 20 inch barrels. Just was thinking something different and like the look. I don't want to be a bother to you and my feeling not hurt. You guys are helping I know I'm not gonna get more accuracy and I know it's gonna be heavier. Just don't wanna hurt the gun. I like the look of the stag arms barrel. But if they are junk I'll pursue another company. Am leaning for a 20 in still just unsure

Your reading too much into my opinion. The longer barrels aren't junk and won't hurt your rifle they just aren't optimal.

Meaning all things the same a 20" krieger 7.7 twist fluted 7r stainless barrel will outshoot the exact same barrel in a 24" model in terms of accuracy across a wider range of bullets powders and environmental conditions.

If you are doing because you like the looks do it. I'm just trying to save you some heartache if your thinking length equals accuracy.

Long 24" barrels like the small light 40-50 grain bullets more running room more rotational speed to point. At varmint ranges up to 300 yards they do fine. Which is why you tend to see those barrels in a 1-12 twist.

55-69 grain bullets do well in in 16-20 inch barrels in 1-7 to 1-9 twist rates.

If you go 24 be sure its a fluted barrel as that adds rigidity and will offset some of the barrel whip from the extra weight and length.

But your not bugging us. Questions are good.

The other issue is balance. I like my rifles to balance at the front edge of the magwell or back.

I just think the rra barrels are better as they chambered in 223wylde and cryo treated and individual air gauge inspected and come in 1-8 twist. My rra match ar15 A2 is a consistent 3/4 moa at 300yards iron sights. It has the rra/wilson barrel in 20" I run 69grain smk over win748 powder and wolf 223 primers.

I kinda kick myself for not getting that rifle in flattop so I can see what it would do with an optic...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So if I were to buy a 24 in with 1-8 twist could I still vary bullet weights. Would 55 grain be alright? I usually shoot 55 or 62 grain

Old 06-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #15

Liked 288 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Do you have an expectation of what a 24" heavy barrel will do that yours does not?? 55 to 62gr is not match grade bullet weights nor varmint weight so a heavy looong barrel could be money not well spent. Loading equipment would be. A 18 or 20" barrel is more than you need for 300 yards and unless your shoot 60 rounds accurate rounds at a setting a mid weight is more than enough. Heres a page to aid you with twist rates for 223/5.56- http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/12/23/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/

You do have a very good 6-24 , 8-32 up to 50 power scope 900 to 2000 dollar scope to take use of a better match barrel.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what type of ammo are you using now?

unless you are using premium factory ammo or reloading match type ammo for your rifle, you may not even see any gains in accuracy going to a longer barrel.

what is your definition of accuracy in the first place in regards to this rifle?

Old 06-21-2014, 03:30 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i use the match grade ammo for hunts etc but sometime while just plinking with friends i just load up some bulk ammo like youd find at rural king cheap 55 gr to 62 grain i know its not near as accurate but cheaper than running through the expensive stuff i know the 24 is not gonna make it any more accurate than the 18 thats on it now nut just like the long look and this weapon will just be a bench plinking gun it wont be hunted and know it will be heavy and cumbersome dont have a real expensive scope on it just a 6by 24 56mm millet scope nothing special i just seen options for 1 12 or 1 8 twist and confused which one to choose for various bullet weights the chart above has helped but didnt see much on length im actually leaning towards a rra 20 in anyway but still not totally decided

Old 06-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #18

Liked 288 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Well you have info now in my last tread to help with a twist rate for your needs. You can then decide on what barrel you wish to spend money on . Length for 400 yards and under is somewhere between 18 and 20 is all you need. Good luck ,.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass

Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #20

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My buddy built a 24" hvy bbl rig for yotes.
Took it on some winter walks.

He hunts with a 16" now.