Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrels

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bushmaster74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 113
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Barrels

Shopping for a heavy barrel for my ar. Does anyone have any input on stag arms barrels. Lookin at a 24" crowned setup any info would be appreciated


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

__________________
bushmaster74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,192
Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I not sure who makes RRA barrels but have seen a couple stock rifles shooting .300 groups while working on crony reading for new loads. What bullet weight , chamber profile are you looking for. 223 wylde or comparable.

Lots of very good barrels to pick from. Check out kreiger, white oak, and Wilson arms barrels . Wilson did make RRA's barrel.

May this page will help you
http://www.hotsheet.com/search_results.php?cx=partner-pub-1316004166504112:dg922ostef6&cof=FORID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&sa=Search&q=best ar match barrels#

__________________
hardluk1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,373
Liked 5468 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I not sure who makes RRA barrels but have seen a couple stock rifles shooting .300 groups while working on crony reading for new loads. What bullet weight , chamber profile are you looking for. 223 wylde or comparable.

Lots of very good barrels to pick from. Check out kreiger, white oak, and Wilson arms barrels . Wilson did make RRA's barrel.

May this page will help you
http://www.hotsheet.com/search_results.php?cx=partner-pub-1316004166504112:dg922ostef6&cof=FORID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&sa=Search&q=best ar match barrels#
wilson still makes rra barrels and they are damn good. wilson arms is no relation to wilson combat. two are often confused.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bushmaster74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 113
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

223-5.56 is what I'm looking for. I like the looks and price range on the stag arms. But not sure of quality


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

__________________
bushmaster74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bushmaster74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 113
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

would putting a 24 in barrel on my ar have any effect on my reciever?

__________________
bushmaster74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 465
Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Bush, not to be rude but you have clearly already made up your mind that the 24" heavy is the way you want to go. You have asked questions about this "upgrade" in 3 seperate threads and it would seem you simply haven't had anyone say that they think its the way to go so you keep asking. If you are resting this bad boy then the length of the barrel should not have much effect on your receiver since the rest will be supporting much of the weight, but as has been suggested already, the 18-20 inch range is not a bad place to be. You stated your rifle came with an 18 to start with so I would think long and hard about other areas that affect accuracy before swapping your barrel. How about upgrading the trigger, which in my opinion is one of the biggest areas your could benefit from. Also, perhaps try some different loads from the stock setup to see if you can find a load that your rifle likes without having to spend the money on the barrel. Just my opinion but if the looks are your thing and the 24 appeals to you in that way then I say go for it but if you want to spend your money on performance I think there are other places I would start first.

__________________
Werminator is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,208
Liked 20921 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
Bush, not to be rude but you have clearly already made up your mind that the 24" heavy is the way you want to go. You have asked questions about this "upgrade" in 3 seperate threads and it would seem you simply haven't had anyone say that they think its the way to go so you keep asking. If you are resting this bad boy then the length of the barrel should not have much effect on your receiver since the rest will be supporting much of the weight, but as has been suggested already, the 18-20 inch range is not a bad place to be. You stated your rifle came with an 18 to start with so I would think long and hard about other areas that affect accuracy before swapping your barrel. How about upgrading the trigger, which in my opinion is one of the biggest areas your could benefit from. Also, perhaps try some different loads from the stock setup to see if you can find a load that your rifle likes without having to spend the money on the barrel. Just my opinion but if the looks are your thing and the 24 appeals to you in that way then I say go for it but if you want to spend your money on performance I think there are other places I would start first.
i have to agree.

how many shots have you even taken with this rifle yet?

have your even tested it to see how accurate it is to begin with?

are you just making an assumption that going to a longer barrel is going to increase it's accuracy?

just changing ammo or reloading ammo that fine tunes the ammo to a particular firearm can increase accuracy by huge degree.

and you do understand that changing the barrel is going to require either buying the tools to change out the barrel or even paying someone to change it out and properly set up the headspace so it operates safely.

too many times we see a person get a new gun, and they want to make modifications right from the get go, before they have even evaluated whether something needs to be changed to make it better and just assume it needs to be changed to be better.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bushmaster74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 113
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I'm changing the barrel cause I want to. I don't like the stock barrel with fixed front sight. I'm real sorry if I'm an inconvenience to you all. I didn't know it was a big deal to ask questions. I see on other thread about 24 barrel do funny things to reciever but never explained any further. So I asked the question on this thread to see if I got response. I'm still figure in out what length I want. I know 20 is more than enough. Was just goin for look. Real sorry I posted anything at all. In future I will not


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

__________________
bushmaster74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 465
Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Hey Bush, don't take my post as derogatory... just weighing in honestly since I keep seeing the conversation come up in several threads. Longer barrels add weight to the rifle and a longer arm on which that weight is held... think about carrying a gallon of milk close to your body and then holding it out at full arms length, the weight seems greater and adds stress to your body to maintain the same height. Similarly your received will have added stresses placed on it by hanging weight ouy further. And then you also said you might throw on a bipod, which when in use supports some of that weight but if not in use increases it even further and will be way out front!

__________________
Werminator is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,208
Liked 20921 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster74 View Post
I'm changing the barrel cause I want to. I don't like the stock barrel with fixed front sight. I'm real sorry if I'm an inconvenience to you all. I didn't know it was a big deal to ask questions. I see on other thread about 24 barrel do funny things to reciever but never explained any further. So I asked the question on this thread to see if I got response. I'm still figure in out what length I want. I know 20 is more than enough. Was just goin for look. Real sorry I posted anything at all. In future I will not


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
well no reason to get your feelings hurt, just becasue you're not getting the answers that coincide with your thinking.

some of us are just pointing out the realities of adding a much longer barrel or what purpose or gains it would serve by not doing so.

simple fact is, it's your rifle and if you want to put a longer barrel on simply for looks, than that is purely your choice.

IIRC, i think your other concern was accuracy. the added expense of the parts, tools or labor to put a longer barrel on may not even yield any appreciable gains in accuracy after it's all said and done.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Don't cut .308 AR barrels..!!! ANGRYcanary Gunsmithing Forum 42 01-16-2012 12:51 AM
KBI O/U: both barrels went off usmc1978 Gunsmithing Forum 4 03-20-2010 01:35 PM
New Barrels dteed4094 Gunsmithing Forum 2 03-01-2010 06:42 PM
Short Barrels/Long Barrels,I can't make up my mind ninjatoth Revolver Handguns 9 10-23-2009 07:59 AM
am barrels sgtdeath66 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 7 01-01-2009 11:25 PM