Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel Movement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

just a lot of variable to digest to see what is most accurate. barrel diameter, length, fluting, rifling and other factors. then we could throw in whether a stainless barrel is more accurate than a chrome moly barrel!

i have even read stories in the past where a rifle builder trying to get every little measure of accuracy from a barrel would have removed half an inch to an inch and effectively decreased group sizes by a decent margin.

i believe there is as much artwork as there is science in building an accurate rifle.
Very true, but that uncertainty is part of what makes it interesting!

Personally I hope it never becomes only cold hard numbers ....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 01-12-2014 at 02:14 AM.
phideaux Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19790 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49869

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Very true, but that uncertainty is part of what makes it interesting!

Personally I hope it never becomes only cold hard numbers ....
i agree! i think the science and the numbers are what give you good place to start. i like the challenge of fine tuning a rifle to make it more accurate myself.

dwmiller Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

[QUOTE=Mercator;1480392]Your hand does not flex the barrel like a tuning fork. It only shifts the stock relative to the barreled action (or you could say it vice versa)

I think I understand how barrel vibrations work. The idea with finding ammo that the rifle "likes" is to find ammo that has the bullet exit the barrel at a "node" or zero position of the barrel, not when it is pointing up or down or somewhere else. I can't picture how the barreled action can move relative to the stock when it is tightly anchored in two locations inches apart. It seems more likely that either the barrel is flexing or that a pivot point exists where the barrel is threaded into the receiver. Comments?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #34

Liked 191 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 147

The barreled action and stock don't move. They are the " zero" that we measure the bullet deflection from....

But as one of are greatest thinkers once said, ".... all things are relative..."

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

[QUOTE=dwmiller;1481765]The barreled action and stock don't move. They are the " zero" that we measure the bullet deflection from....

There is movement of the barrel relative to the stock. It is easy to see. I'm looking for a description of exactly what that movement is.

Last edited by dexntex; 01-13-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19790 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49869

[quote=dexntex;1481779]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
The barreled action and stock don't move. They are the " zero" that we measure the bullet deflection from....

There is movement of the barrel relative to the stock. It is easy to see. I'm looking for a description of exactly what that movement is.
the fore end of the rifle is flexing, not the barrel. the barrel only moves a few thousands of an inch when fired. it can't be seen with the naked eye. it can be caught with very high speed cameras and viewed when slowed down.

the action and barrel are heat treated after rifling and machining. if the barrel could be flexed by hand, then do you think that barrel would be safe to shoot?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1419 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexntex View Post

The best I can describe it is freeplay. It is normal. Whether it is excessive I cannot say positively until I hold your rifle. Good luck in your research.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #38

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Just wanted to add, a free floated barrel by itself is not the cat's meow of rifle construction. It is often advertised as a big deal, but actually it is a way to sidestep the stock fitting procedures. A good bedding whenre the barrel and the stock oscillate in harmony is more expensive.
You sir are SPOT ON.