Barrel mount torch & lazer

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel mount torch & lazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Barrel mount torch & lazer

Have recently ordered a barrel mount torch and laser combo. It jut. Lamps on to the barrel to provide a fixing point for the accessories. I was told by someone that mounting thing to the barrel may effect its shooting. Is this true?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2393 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Mitch,

You have heard correctly. It will effect the barrel harmonics of the weapon which it will cause the point of impact to change between shots. But let me explain.

If you mount a mounting system, light or anything on the barrel you will have to re-zero the rifle with the equipment on the barrel. If you for example are standing or kneeling while firing the weapon with the new Zero set. If you rest any part of the barrel or the light and mount on something it will change the Zero as mentioned above. Once zeroed you must be sure that nothing has contact with the barrel when you are shooting. It will only change if the barrel has contact with something. That includes griping the items when shooting. When a rifle is fired the barrel actually whips! That is called barrel harmonics. Hope this makes sense!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanx I'll rethink where I mount it