Barrel life...Remington 700 .308
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel life...Remington 700 .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Barrel life...Remington 700 .308

I have a Remington 700 SPS tactical AAC-SD in .308 (20" barrel 1:10" twist)

Now I already know there are many factors that go into barrel life and I know I may never live to see the day where I blow out my barrel, but I'm curious!

I'm not shooting any "hot" loads.
Just standard .308 hunting stuff.

I clean my barrel every couple hundred rounds.

I use a plastic cleaning rod so I don't damage the barrel.

I just want a ball park estimate of how many rounds she can take before I start seeing a drop in accuracy..?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

As you stated you will probably never see the wear to the point of needing to rebarrel your rifle. At best is is a "SWAG" when it comes to putting an exact amount of rounds that constitutes replacing the barrel. To many factors to figure in. What would occur is the accuracy of the rifle slowly goes away a little bit at a time. The poor boy method of keeping track of it is to break the rifle in first. Then shoot two good 5 shot groups at 100 yards with it and keep the targets filed away. Keep enough of the ammunition you zero and shoot the groups with and the same LOT NUMBER for future testing. It will very quickly show you when the throat starts wearing considerably on the rifle. Of course there is Throat Erosion Gauges. I would clean it a little more often than you have been. That will aslo contibute to some wear with after every hundred or so rounds putting a bullet down through a dirty bore which makes sense. Anyway I personaly do not think you would be able to tell any difference if the rifle is cleaned reguraly until around 5000 to 8000 rounds. Remember Heat is the enemy of throat erosion on the rifle barrel besides proper maintenance. A bolt gun, I would say a guy should be able to get 10000-12000 rounds out of it before accuracy starts going to the dogs. But the Test Group shot in the begining will open up considerably! Obviously as stated accuracy will slowly diminish as the rifle gets more use. Also when throat erosin starts it will accelerate quicker than normal as the wear continues to expand the chamber. But the bolt gun has time to cool down normally after each 3 or four rounds at the most. Everyone will have thier own thoughts on this because as I said it is SWAG! with all the possible factors involved even the metallurgy of the same brand rifle compared to the other one. SWAG = (Scientific Wild A** Guess!)

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-13-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 AM   #3

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

What he said^^^^^^^

Start looking at 8000 rounds. You should get 10000 rounds before an issue, or series of issues arise. I am not familiar with the rifle. What is the barrel contour??
Crown type??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Another thing, personally, I would clean my rifle a lot more than every couple hundred rounds. I punch the bore out on mine after every range trip. Especially if it is going to sit a while between sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1871 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Copper fouling will make you think a barrel is shot out. Use a barrel light to examine your barrel now. You will notice the tooling is sharp and square. If the barrel is fouled with copper the lands will look like they were cut on a 45 degree angle.

Copper fouling is something you need to watch. I have bought some nice rifles over the years the owner virtually gave to me due to copper fouling.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

sandog Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #6

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

A friend came out to visit recently and brought his Savage in .243. He cleans it on occasion but wasn't aware of copper fouling. He hasn't been happy with the groups he's been getting. I put some Sweet's 7.62 solvent on a nylon brush, ran the brush through the bore and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then ran a patch through with more Sweet's on it. I did this about 8 times before the patch came out clean and not all blue/green from copper fouling. We then went out and tested some loads with the Sierra 85 grain Varminter bullet and he got several 100 yard groups of 1/2", with one load grouping at 3/8". That restored my faith in his shooting ability and that even a cheap $300 Savage Axis can be very accurate with the right loads. My .17 HMR's groups would double in size if I didn't clean out the copper fouling after 50-60 rounds or so.
Quality of the barrel can affect how fast copper is deposited in the barrel. My Remington AR in .243 has almost no copper fouling come out after firing 80 rounds, while my Remington 700 in .308 has quite a bit. The .243 barrel would seem to be smoother than the M700 .308 barrel, but the heavy barrel .308 still turns in one hole groups, while the .243 will not. My 700 .308 came with the cheap plastic SPS stock, but I replaced that with a H-S Precision stock and Timney trigger. icallshotgun, get a bore guide if you don't already have one, to prevent throat wear from cleaning.

dsc01531.jpg  

Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Your doing more harm with excessive cleaning than shooting.

I dont use anything but clp on a patch and jag to clean powder residue. Once accuracy starts to degrade i clean the copper. Over cleaning with brushes isnt good for the lands and long life of the barrel.

The throat is what wears out. Thats where the pressure and heat is the highest. Longer barrels wear out very slightly faster in the throat than shorter barrels because the high pressure and heat has longer time to act on the metal.

Most barrels shoot better dirty with some copper fouling. If your storing for a long time between shoots then its better to clean and oil the bore between sessions. If your shooting frequently its better to only remove residue and leave the copper until accuracy degrades.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

crockett007 Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i've read somewhere in the neighborhood between 5000-10000. Depends on your load, bullet, cleaning habits, and dwell time between shots.