Barrel life
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Barrel life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Barrel life

What burns out a barrel faster? Is it higher pressure? Higher speed? Bullet weight?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have also wondered this but I don't know.
Also what happens if you wear out a gun?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 1317 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 635

The throat of the barrel gets eroded from the high pressure gases/flame produced when a cartridge is fired.Depending on the caliber and powder charges used,will tend to have a major bearing on how long a barrel will last.
In general,most barrels will last a lifetime for a person that hunts or casually shoots their guns.A person that shoots competition might go thru several barrels a year,depending on how often they shoot,the particular caliber,and how hot they load their ammo.

I have friends that have become "Speed Freaks",and they burn through barrels a lot faster than guy's that load for the most accurate loads.Faster doesn't mean more accurate,but you can't tell them that.
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10954 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Moderate loads, lead bullets, barrel will last longer than you will. SCREAMING hi velocity, jacketed bullets, some will lose accuracy at 1000 rounds.

What happens when you wear a gun out? You get a slingshot.

You rebuild it, of course. Some folks that shoot at little TINY targets WAY out there demand a much higher degree of accuracy than a plinker or hunter- barrel life for them can be a few hundred rounds.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Powder charge in relation to bore size seems to have the most effect. "overbore" cartridges like the 220 Swift that have a bunch of powder and a small bore size seem to suffer the most. Strangely the .25-06 is not known for burning throats.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok but like my sporting clays gun I have probly 10000 shots through it with most light loads bird shot but some 3in. Mag it is a baratta 686 white onyx. How many
Shots should it take its a year old.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10954 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Shotguns operate in an entirely different pressure range than rifles- and do not have the ultra high temps at the forcing cone that a rifle has at the leade.

You have a first quality, well built shotgun (for around $2200, it damed well BETTER be!) I doubt that you will EVER wear out the barrels. At some point the lockup may start to get loose, and need the attention of a gunsmith, but with low energy clays/trap loads, that could be a LONG way off.

It used to be a problem with older guns, but better metals are used now. That Beretta will likely outlast you.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Powder charge in relation to bore size seems to have the most effect. "overbore" cartridges like the 220 Swift that have a bunch of powder and a small bore size seem to suffer the most. Strangely the .25-06 is not known for burning throats.
Not to pick a fight here, I'm just a little sensitive with one of my favorite cartridges.

To quote the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, 8th Edition, page 212, "Because of bad publicity as a barrel burner, the popularity of the cartridge gradually faded. The ill-fame stemmed mainly from the extreme pressures at which it originally operated. Modern barrel steel and newer cleaning techniques have substantially improved barrel life. Also, with loads reduced slightly (c. 100 fps), case and barrel life compare to any cartridge of equivalent powder capacity."

A great example of an overbore cartridge is any WSM or WSSM. if you have them same hornady manual I quoted before, see what it says about a .223 WSSM.

Long slender powder columns (like the 25-06, or the 300 H&H Mag) aren't nearly as hard on barrels as short fat powder columns (like a RSAUM, WSM, or WSSM). I can explain the physics, if you really wanna know, but that much typing on a iPhone sucks. Just don't get the barrel too hot and it should last long enough for an average shooter.

Last edited by theropinfool; 01-24-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

I agree it is mostly reputation. Your mileage may vary. Modern steels and reasonable loads will certainly extend the life of a barrel. Many people get rifles chambered in hyper speed cartridges like the .220 Swift or .264 Win Mag and want to shoot as fast as possible. The pressures and heat involved in pushing a bullet to nearly 4000 fps (or beyond) then shooting over and over will certainly test the mettle of the metal.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya my grandfather got it for me and I was just wondering because I out every weekend outing anywhere from 50 to 150 or 200 a week so thanks.