Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel length and model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Barrel length and model

I am looking for a gun to shoot 1000 plus yards. Right now I am looking at Remington model 700 in the .338 Lapua. On remingtons website there were a lot of different types of model 700. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Also how does barrel length affect long range accuracy? I read somewhere that a short barrel is just as accurate because it causes less vibration? It sounds plausible does anyone have any experience with this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a couple questions to ask and then maybe it will be easier for us to help you.

What kind of 1000 yard shooting are you looking to do F-Class competition? Just for fun, Tatical Competition (sniper matches)?

Is this going to be your first centerfire bolt action rifle?

How much do you want to spend?

Remington 700's are generally a good starter rifle because they are cheap, generally well made, and are infinatly customizable. I think rem just started producing to 700 in 338LM so i dont have any experience with it but someone here may have.

Generally speaking if you are going to shoot long range you want a longer barrel to maximize the velocity of any given cartridge. I have never heard of shorter barrels vibrating less therefore increasing accuracy but im not an expert.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2607 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Barrel rigidity is the issue you are looking for. Two barrels of equal diameter but unequal length will have different harmonics (vibration) the shorter barrel will be more rigid than the longer one. For those kinds of distances you want a longer barrel (w/in reason) for higher velocity to carry the energy further. To get the same kind of rigidity from a longer barrel you want one that is thicker (larger diameter).
In my limited experience, harmonics are not necessarily bad. They just are. You tune the load to match the harmonics and you are fine. Even a light "sporter weight" well made barrel will have a "sweet spot" or particualr load it shoots well. That sweet spot may be fairly narrow and affected greatly by temperature. A thicker barrel should have a broader sweet spot and be less effected by temperature variance.

While a Remington 700 is a good platform, it is not considered a "great" platform. It is easy to work on and very customizable but lacks the rigidity right out of the box that you can get with other actions

JD will be along shortly to tell you the 700 sucks and the Howa or pre-64 Winchester is far superior (just messing with you JD)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #4

The 700 is a great platform the USMC and the ARMY use it in the M40 and
M 24 sniper rifles.
I would'nt use less than a 24 inch barrel. You need to remember 338 is expensive to shoot, so you might want to reload. A 1000 yard shot takes allot of knowledge to hit. Study ballistics, wind effect, heat and humidity, shooting fundamentals, and have good optics.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

The Vanguard, 300 WM or Howa 1500 are pretty good range sticks right out the box and they are nipping at the heals of the 700 Remmy's offered caliber and barrel options.

Both the Vanguard and the Howa shoot/feed/functon damn near perfectly, from my shooting experience, where the 700 Remmy can be a little temperamental at times, but still a great stick.

As mentioned, there is a lot more to long range shooting besides having a great stick. A lot has to do with who is holding it. YMMV

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-09-2010, 02:21 AM   #6

I am planning on shooting just for fun but if I get good enough then I might look into competitions. This will be my frst bolt action rifle. I have heard good things about the 700 so that is the one I am looking at. The type I am looking at is the XCR II. What is the difference between .338 win mag and .338 ultra mag? Does anyone know of any good places to find ballistic charts? Finally, I will need a scope anyone have any suggestions.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #7

F-class TR is for .223 or .308. You shoot prone with a bi-pod & rear bag. This is what I use for that. Tikka Varmint .308. The scope is a WOTAC 4-16x50. I have added a EGW 20 MOA rail & rings & swaped the U.S. Optics scope mounted level for the same kind that mounts to the rail. I shoot 600 yd matches, & the rifle will reach 1000 yds with room to spare.

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Last edited by kansas45; 04-09-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

While a Remington 700 is a good platform, it is not considered a "great" platform. It is easy to work on and very customizable but lacks the rigidity right out of the box that you can get with other actions

JD will be along shortly to tell you the 700 sucks and the Howa or pre-64 Winchester is far superior (just messing with you JD)
I am not even touching this thread Big Guy. This one is ALL YOU!!

Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Not to hijack, but harmonics question...

Saw a televised match, different guns, the rifle portion was done with ARs. Guys had to engage targets through cut out in a large steel plate.

So this one guy is rockin it, and has a flier. A slo-mo replay shows that his barrel touched the edge of the cutout on the bad shot. The cutout braced against the vibration, HINDERING his accuracy. Is this feasible?

His form, everything else, fine for the bad shot, touching the cutout was the one flaw.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
The cutout braced against the vibration, HINDERING his accuracy. Is this feasible?

His form, everything else, fine for the bad shot, touching the cutout was the one flaw.
Yes. Because you have to factor in that whatever was happening prior to that, was the way the rifle was sighted in and prepared to shoot.

This is one of those areas that is better left to a discussion by itself.

This type of topic will attract a bunch on Interwebz Loping Lone Rangers who will be buy to all throw out "expert opinions" that they read on some other forum and are passing off as science and definitive proof.

Bottom line to your question is this:

If the weapon does not have a free floated barrel, whatever influences the stock or sling puts on the barrel will affect every shot.

If you free float the barrel, and nothing touches it, you will have far less impact.

Suddenly if your free floated barrel is given the same influences during shooting of what happened when it was NOT free floated, your inducing a different variable other than what you are used to having during the shot.

Thus, the end result is different due to outside harmonics, or in the case you described, lack there of.

JD