Barrel fluting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel fluting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Barrel fluting

Hi guys I have recently purchased a tikka super varmint in the 25-06 caliber now recently new to firearms since buying it I have found it a little heavy now I was thinking of getting the barrel fluted to reduce some weight now my question is a: will it have much effect and b: are there any other things I can do to cut down the weight

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Barrel flutes will only take a few ounces of weight off the rifle,and will surely void all of the warranty on your new rifle.
Varmint rifles are supposed to be heavy,if you want a lighter rifle,you will need to buy a sporter weight barreled rifle.
One thing that will help you is a nice quality hunting sling for your rifle. Every rifle that I hunt with anymore has a heavy barrel on it,and I've never had any problems taking them out in the field hunting.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Fluting a barrel will destroy it unless done just right. It should be done before heat treating. Cutting metal from a barrel will 1, change the harmonics of it. 2. introduce a lot of heat and heat causes stress.

If you want a lighter barrel you can have it rebarreled with a barrel with a smaller taper. Varmint rifles are made with heavy barrels to withstand firing a lot of rounds in a day.

I totally agree with THB get you a good high quality sling with padding.

I have one of these that I move from rifle to rifle. I love it. http://www.timberbutteoutdoors.com/photogallery.html

Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Leave your rifle alone or sell it and buy a skinny barreled version. Fluting is more a selling gimmick than practical as much as anything. A barrel gets hot and cools and with flutes does so at different levels depending on the thickness of the metal. Money wasted after the fact.

If your rifle is so darn heavy by a Bonnie Packers Safari Sli9ng to help you hump it around. My hunting rifle is a 10lb 8oz custom and carries mostly hands free in front of me at the ready in that sling.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1969 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 378

less weight = more felt recoil

fluted barrel are for show IMHO

Old 08-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

It's been said over and over but ..Don't do it. Get another barrel, get another gun, get a good sling (no matter what you do they come in handy)

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Fluting does reduce weight while retaining rigidity and aids in cooling. However it shouldnt really be done afterthe fact on a factory barrel. You need someone like krieger who knows what they are doing to do it and it needs to be done to a barrel of proper quality to see any benefit.

As others have said dont do it. If you want a fluted barrel call krieger barrels in wisconsin and discuss with them getting a quality barrel on your action.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #8

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
less weight = more felt recoil

fluted barrel are for show IMHO
My 17hmr has a fluted barrel. Not much more recoil. ;-)

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #9

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

duddie10 funny !!