Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel break in

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
The_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 564
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
The fact remains if you waste 50 rounds "breaking in" a barrel, you've shortened it's life by that same number of said rounds.
That is why barrel makers love the people that shoot 10 shot groups instead of 3 or 5 shot groups. They cut the barrel life in half with every 10 shot group!

The conspiracy theory you guys cling to IS that ridiculous.
__________________
...nuff said.

Last edited by The_Kid; 08-27-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: kinda typo
The_Kid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

No "conspiracy theory". We just don't believe in a fad that doesn't accomplish anything. I love the how the "break in" guys say how much easier the barrel is to clean. Well how can it be any easier then if I shoot the same number of rounds, only do it shooting groups and enjoying my rifle, instead of scrubbing it every other shot?

__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TCH2FLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 182
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
That is why barrel makers love the people that shoot 10 shot groups instead of 3 or 5 shot groups. They cut the barrel life in half with every 10 shot group!

The conspiracy theory you guys cling to IS that ridiculous.
Typical Straw-man argument. No barrel maker has posted that 10 shot groups are "required" or even suggested.
__________________

What if there were no hypothetical questions?


Last edited by TCH2FLY; 08-27-2012 at 10:26 PM.
TCH2FLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
The_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 564
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Typical Straw-man argument. No barrel maker has posted that 10 shot groups are "required" or even suggested.
You need to read the link before posting it.
I would need to attribute that scenario as your actual argument

A practice that accomplishes even more wear, (according to your own link,) is deemed irrelevant, because it trounces your argument.
__________________
...nuff said.

Last edited by The_Kid; 08-27-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: grammar
The_Kid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
The_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 564
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
No "conspiracy theory". We just don't believe in a fad that doesn't accomplish anything.
Your, "doesn't accomplish anything" argument is in conflict to your, "accelerated wear" argument.
But you knew that.
And your "accelerated wear" argument is in conflict with your "every round shot in breaking-in a barrel is one round off the life of said rifle barrel" argument.
But you knew that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I love the how the "break in" guys say how much easier the barrel is to clean. Well how can it be any easier then if I shoot the same number of rounds, only do it shooting groups and enjoying my rifle, instead of scrubbing it every other shot?
Perfect example of a Straw-man" argument. It asserts that I'll clean after one shot for the life of the rifle.
One would have to ignore everything written to make that statement.


I'm not even going to read what you two write next, it surely isn't going to strengthen your arguments.
__________________
...nuff said.
The_Kid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Instead of typing what translates into nothing more than a bunch of delusional noise, why don't you tell us what you think is happening inside your barrel during the "break in" process, that we're missing out on by simply shooting our guns?

__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 2,262
Liked 908 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 1495

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
Throat length is a whole nother animal, being "in the lands" does make a difference but its such a small issue its not worth discussing on a factory chamber. If your blaming your disgust on seating depth youve prolly missing something else much less basic. Try another powder, bullet, fps etc. Some guns dont like speed! A fast miss is no more impressive then a slow miss. Do your homework, look at what rate of twist you have, look at the weight bullet your trying to use, what are you trying to accomplish.... its all been done before. Trying to shoot 125gr bullets threw your 1 in 10 twist .308 isnt gonna work....get it? Its a long road to accuracy and you have to look at the whole picture, which requires some homework and trial and error. Alot more error then anything. Best of luck.

Badshot
I've got the accuracy part down pat but my factory chamber is still way off. I have a 1 in 11.2 rate of twist which is for heavier bullets than the standard 1:10, and I shoot 175gr. BTHP at paper and 180gr. BTSP for hunting. My gun really starts shooting great when the bullet (175gr) is .035" off the lands. Unfortunately, my throat is so deep that in order to keep my bullets .035" off the lands my OAL needs to be 2.875". My bullets touch the lands at an OAL of 2.910". That's 0.100" over the max OAL. If the throat where any deeper I would be SOL because I wouldn't have enough bullet left in the case. And the rounds no longer fit in the magazine at an OAL of 2.860".

Please let me know if I missed anything.
__________________
TLuker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

My approach to bbl break-in has been this....

My ArmaLite manual said to do it. So I did.

My LWRC manual did not say to do it. So I didn't.

That's it.

__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #39
Crazy Azz Redneck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,308
Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I've got the accuracy part down pat but my factory chamber is still way off. I have a 1 in 11.2 rate of twist which is for heavier bullets than the standard 1:10, and I shoot 175gr. BTHP at paper and 180gr. BTSP for hunting. My gun really starts shooting great when the bullet (175gr) is .035" off the lands. Unfortunately, my throat is so deep that in order to keep my bullets .035" off the lands my OAL needs to be 2.875". My bullets touch the lands at an OAL of 2.910". That's 0.100" over the max OAL. If the throat where any deeper I would be SOL because I wouldn't have enough bullet left in the case. And the rounds no longer fit in the magazine at an OAL of 2.860".

Please let me know if I missed anything.
TLuker,A 1-10 twist rate will handle up to a 220gr bullet,where a 1-11.2 will be maxing out in the 180-190gr bullet range.
Your throat isn't much longer than my Savage 10FCP with the 208gr AMax bullets that I shoot. Touching the lands,that bullet is 2.940"OAL,and I shoot them .015" off the lands.
The 168gr bullets that I shoot are 2.887" OAL to the lands,and I shoot them .015" off the lands.

When you start stretching the OAL of the cartridge out,there are very few rifles that you will be able to use the magazine,that's just a fact of life.
__________________
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 2,262
Liked 908 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 1495

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
TLuker,A 1-10 twist rate will handle up to a 220gr bullet,where a 1-11.2 will be maxing out in the 180-190gr bullet range.
Your throat isn't much longer than my Savage 10FCP with the 208gr AMax bullets that I shoot. Touching the lands,that bullet is 2.940"OAL,and I shoot them .015" off the lands.
The 168gr bullets that I shoot are 2.887" OAL to the lands,and I shoot them .015" off the lands.

When you start stretching the OAL of the cartridge out,there are very few rifles that you will be able to use the magazine,that's just a fact of life.
Yea, it's sort of driving me nuts. If they wouldn't make the throat too deep there would be no need to stretch out the OAL. Oh well.
__________________
TLuker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Barrel break-in OldSarge1 General Rifle Discussion 25 03-12-2012 05:51 PM
break in a barrel MrBombastic Competition Shooting 20 03-14-2011 02:59 AM
Barrel break in process? jesseingall AR-15 Discussion 2 01-29-2011 01:57 AM
Barrel break in??? dragunovsks AR-15 Discussion 9 07-03-2008 03:07 AM
New Barrel Break-In...Question Loco40 AR-15 Discussion 3 02-28-2008 03:21 PM