Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel break-in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
NO, real cleaning and some polishing. Kroil oil and JB's bore paste mixed and alone with bronse and nylon brush's. Find a top quality barrel companies site and read up on there instrutions. It may or may not improve accuracy but it does add in cleaning big time and prolongs shooting between cleaning and makes it much easier.
Good reply, also note use a bore guide an a quality 1piece cleaning rod.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #22
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
When you guys say "clean" the barrel between shots or every few groups during break-in, do you mean with something like a Boresnake Viper or an actual cleaning with solvent etc?
You want to completely clean the barrel,until you have a clean patch.
I usually run a patch soaked in Butch's or Montana Extreme bore solvent thru the bore,and let it soak for a few minutes.Then patch it until the barrels dry.
I then run a soaked patch with a Copper solvent thru the bore,and let it set for 5 minutes,and then run patches back thru the bore.If you have BLUE patches when you run them thru the bore-the barrel is Copper Fouled.
Clean all of the copper out of the bore before you shoot another round out of the gun.

Repeat this process 10 times,and then shoot a 5 shot group,and clean it again.

In most cases,the barrel will be doing fine by then,but sometimes you'll get a barrel that takes a while to get the roughness from the rifling process out of the barrel.
In extreme cases,you'll need to hand lap,or fire lap the barrel in order to get the bore smooth enough that it doesn't copper foul.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #23

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

I usually run a patch soaked in Butch's or Montana Extreme bore solvent thru the bore,and let it soak for a few minutes.Then patch it until the barrels dry.
I then run a soaked patch with a Copper solvent thru the bore,and let it set for 5 minutes,and then run patches back thru the bore.If you have BLUE patches when you run them thru the bore-the barrel is Copper Fouled.
Clean all of the copper out of the bore before you shoot another round out of the gun.

In most cases,the barrel will be doing fine by then,but sometimes you'll get a barrel that takes a while to get the roughness from the rifling process out of the barrel.
In extreme cases,you'll need to hand lap,or fire lap the barrel in order to get the bore smooth enough that it doesn't copper foul.
Take the advice he gave, its one of the most used ways by many gun makers, very good post there txhillbilly

Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #24

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

That is the way to do it. Having a perfectly clean bore is the key.

DO NOT use abrasive bore paste or the like; the copper jacket in direct contact with the bore is what smooths the bore.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
NO, real cleaning and some polishing. Kroil oil and JB's bore paste mixed and alone with bronse and nylon brush's. Find a top quality barrel companies site and read up on there instrutions. It may or may not improve accuracy but it does add in cleaning big time and prolongs shooting between cleaning and makes it much easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Good reply, also note use a bore guide an a quality 1piece cleaning rod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Take the advice he gave, its one of the most used ways by many gun makers, very good post there txhillbilly
Thanks for the advise guys!!! I will follow it for sure!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Barrel break in

Thanks fellas for all the input. The common denominator of all the suggestions was to scrub alot between each group with a good copper solvent and new brush. Well, it must have worked. Within the hour of my first shot, I had zeroed in at 1 1/2" high at 100 yds, clover leafing several groups, but all within the diameter of a dime. 200 yds. was dead on and then I began to play, getting to learn the rifle. Successive shots at the 18" gong at 3, 4 & 5 hundred yds. utilizing a Nikon buckmaster BCD scope were without a miss and 600 was 3 out of 5. Time will improve that. Now it time to go out and start busting coyotes.