Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel break-in

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,486
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

so Its bad to just shoot your gun and just skip the processof breaking it in lol I'm asking cuz I didnt do this with my 22-250

__________________
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573
so Its bad to just shoot your gun and just skip the processof breaking it in lol I'm asking cuz I didnt do this with my 22-250
I dont buy a new gun an go hammer away, I do a break in but to each his own
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,486
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

I dont buy a new gun an go hammer away, I do a break in but to each his own
Lol so do I have to worry about it or no and how's your lil girl doing man
__________________
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Lol so do I have to worry about it or no and how's your lil girl doing man
If its shootin good then no if it wont shoot good then worry, my daughter is doin real good today thanks for askin, but just clean that gun good after shootin u will be fine
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,486
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

If its shootin good then no if it wont shoot good then worry, my daughter is doin real good today thanks for askin, but just clean that gun good after shootin u will be fine
Thats awesome man and Ya it shoot nickle size groups at 100 so I think I'm in the clear then
__________________
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Lol so do I have to worry about it or no and how's your lil girl doing man
What a good break in does, when barrels are rifled there are tiny ruff spots left by the process, shootin an cleaning helps smooth out the gunk an by doin so u also can see how many shots it takes to slow the copper build up the more it takes the cleaner the barrel, thus the smoother the rifling becomes
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,486
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

What a good break in does, when barrels are rifled there are tiny ruff spots left by the process, shootin an cleaning helps smooth out the gunk an by doin so u also can see how many shots it takes to slow the copper build up the more it takes the cleaner the barrel, thus the smoother the rifling becomes
Alright getcha now
__________________
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ZeusEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

When you guys say "clean" the barrel between shots or every few groups during break-in, do you mean with something like a Boresnake Viper or an actual cleaning with solvent etc?

__________________

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ZeusEcho is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,486
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho
When you guys say "clean" the barrel between shots or every few groups during break-in, do you mean with something like a Boresnake Viper or an actual cleaning with solvent etc?
I've heard of people use cleaning rods with a wire brush and run it thought a few times but I'm not sure heck have never really broke a barrel in I just take them out and shoot a few and say its good but that's me

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
__________________
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,174
Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

NO, real cleaning and some polishing. Kroil oil and JB's bore paste mixed and alone with bronse and nylon brush's. Find a top quality barrel companies site and read up on there instrutions. It may or may not improve accuracy but it does add in cleaning big time and prolongs shooting between cleaning and makes it much easier.

__________________
hardluk1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
break in a barrel MrBombastic Competition Shooting 20 03-14-2011 02:59 AM
new mini 14 barrel break in grimhellwolf Mini-14 Forum 0 01-29-2009 10:37 PM
Barrel break in??? dragunovsks AR-15 Discussion 9 07-03-2008 03:07 AM
Rifle Barrel Break-In jrmoore7138 The Club House 7 03-03-2008 01:12 AM
New Barrel Break-In...Question Loco40 AR-15 Discussion 3 02-28-2008 03:21 PM