Barrel break-in
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Barrel break-in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Barrel break-in

I have recently purchased a new Weatherby Vanguard in .223. A friend asked if I was going to break-in the barrel. Honestly, I didn't give it much thought, although I have read articles on the subject in the past. Anybody, care to comment on the pros and cons and if anyone suggests it, what is the protocol for best results?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #2

You choose one of the best brands of guns a man could buy, Breaking in the barrel is a very precautionous event. The barrel never having been fired before may or may not easily warp. weatherbys usually have a remarkably sturdy and solidly built barrel. It should be fine to shoot but when breaking in any barrel, take about a five minute break between barrel burns. When you feel the barrel getting hot pause and give it time to cool down. Don't try to rush the process or the accuracy of your rifle could be destroyed permanently until you are forced to purchase a new barrel. I hope this helped. Good luck and happy hunting.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #3

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Follow someones instrutions like Krieger barrels for breakin. May make a difference in how it shoots . Does make a difference in how it cleans up.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

I just got a new Henry golden boy I need to break it in too

Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

I usually shoot 1rd and then clean the barrel for the first 10 shots.But it will depend on just how rough the barrel finish is,if it copper fouls much,it will take longer to break it in.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
I usually shoot 1rd and then clean the barrel for the first 10 shots.But it will depend on just how rough the barrel finish is,if it copper fouls much,it will take longer to break it in.
Yep, good break in style when the copper slows your good to go

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherbymag257
You choose one of the best brands of guns a man could buy, Breaking in the barrel is a very precautionous event. The barrel never having been fired before may or may not easily warp. weatherbys usually have a remarkably sturdy and solidly built barrel. It should be fine to shoot but when breaking in any barrel, take about a five minute break between barrel burns. When you feel the barrel getting hot pause and give it time to cool down. Don't try to rush the process or the accuracy of your rifle could be destroyed permanently until you are forced to purchase a new barrel. I hope this helped. Good luck and happy hunting.
Good rifles yes but one of the best? Ahh ok top 5 I would say, the mark5 accumark ohh so perty tho thats one fine rifle.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherbymag257
Your over-the-top bravado kills me. You rock! I want to read everything you have to say.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2476

Go to Howa's website and read their recommendation for barrel break in.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool

Your over-the-top bravado kills me. You rock! I want to read everything you have to say.
Haaaaaaaaaaaa