Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Barrel break-in (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/barrel-break-59579/)

OldSarge1 03-06-2012 04:17 PM

Barrel break-in

I have recently purchased a new Weatherby Vanguard in .223. A friend asked if I was going to break-in the barrel. Honestly, I didn't give it much thought, although I have read articles on the subject in the past. Anybody, care to comment on the pros and cons and if anyone suggests it, what is the protocol for best results?

weatherbymag257 03-06-2012 04:30 PM

You choose one of the best brands of guns a man could buy, Breaking in the barrel is a very precautionous event. The barrel never having been fired before may or may not easily warp. weatherbys usually have a remarkably sturdy and solidly built barrel. It should be fine to shoot but when breaking in any barrel, take about a five minute break between barrel burns. When you feel the barrel getting hot pause and give it time to cool down. Don't try to rush the process or the accuracy of your rifle could be destroyed permanently until you are forced to purchase a new barrel. I hope this helped. Good luck and happy hunting.

hardluk1 03-06-2012 04:50 PM

Follow someones instrutions like Krieger barrels for breakin. May make a difference in how it shoots . Does make a difference in how it cleans up.

weatherbymag257 03-06-2012 05:39 PM

I just got a new Henry golden boy I need to break it in too

Txhillbilly 03-07-2012 04:25 PM

I usually shoot 1rd and then clean the barrel for the first 10 shots.But it will depend on just how rough the barrel finish is,if it copper fouls much,it will take longer to break it in.

Muliemaster 03-07-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
I usually shoot 1rd and then clean the barrel for the first 10 shots.But it will depend on just how rough the barrel finish is,if it copper fouls much,it will take longer to break it in.

Yep, good break in style when the copper slows your good to go

Muliemaster 03-07-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weatherbymag257
You choose one of the best brands of guns a man could buy, Breaking in the barrel is a very precautionous event. The barrel never having been fired before may or may not easily warp. weatherbys usually have a remarkably sturdy and solidly built barrel. It should be fine to shoot but when breaking in any barrel, take about a five minute break between barrel burns. When you feel the barrel getting hot pause and give it time to cool down. Don't try to rush the process or the accuracy of your rifle could be destroyed permanently until you are forced to purchase a new barrel. I hope this helped. Good luck and happy hunting.

Good rifles yes but one of the best? Ahh ok top 5 I would say, the mark5 accumark ohh so perty tho thats one fine rifle.

theropinfool 03-07-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weatherbymag257

Your over-the-top bravado kills me. You rock! I want to read everything you have to say.

TLuker 03-07-2012 09:45 PM

Go to Howa's website and read their recommendation for barrel break in. :)

Muliemaster 03-07-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theropinfool

Your over-the-top bravado kills me. You rock! I want to read everything you have to say.

Haaaaaaaaaaaa