bargaining
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > bargaining

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default bargaining

There's a gun show coming to town this weekend and I'm looking to buy. Is it generally acceptable to attempt to "talk down" the price of a weapon or bargain with the dealer/seller at gun shows? What about gun stores? I don't want to look like a fool trying to bargain if its not generally ok to do so.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #2

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
There's a gun show coming to town this weekend and I'm looking to buy. Is it generally acceptable to attempt to "talk down" the price of a weapon or bargain with the dealer/seller at gun shows? What about gun stores? I don't want to look like a fool trying to bargain if its not generally ok to do so.
I always talk them down. You better know what you are talking about.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Piss them off and the price usually rises above the original with no reverse!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Absolutely, both at a gun show or at a gun store (usually when dealing with used stock) it's Ok to make a reasonable offer below sticker if you think the gun should be priced lower. It's also Ok to pay sticker if the gun is a steal as priced. Sometimes if you appear undecided the dealer will "sweeten" the deal himself without you asking, specially late afternoon on Sunday.

It's not Ok to make an insulting unreasonable offer.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #5

I'll haggle until they're blue in the face. They usually won't drop the price until I whip out a fist full of green backs (and I do this last) It's worked every time for me. Really helps if you do combo purchases as well. If I can't get a deal, I go somewhere else. I really try to not buy on the internet to keep my hard earned money in my community, but if a local option doesn't materialize, I hit the net. Just my two cents. Best of luck, and as said earlier, KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If it's something I really want, I'll ask if that's the best they can do. Most times they'll give me a song & dance and then come down. If it's not enough, I'll then state what I had in mind. They can take it or leave it. Generally we can come to an acceptable deal.

I'm polite, but firm. I do not want to insult the guy, because I want his stuff at a fair or better price. If he's a jerk about it, I walk. I'd rather do without.

I know what I want and what it's worth to me. I also know about the firearm or accessory, so he can't BS me. That gives me an even playing field.

YMMV

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5983 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

get a firearms blue book so you learn condition of weapons markings and what they are considered to be valued at. then go from there.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Shows and dealers- especially on used firearms. Have been known to ask "Do you have in wiggle room in the price?" Works best on the second afternoon of a 2 day show. Wiggle room does not mean $200 offer on a $500 price tag- but it MIGHT mean $175 on a $200- or it MIGHT mean a box of ammo with the gun. "!0% for cash?" may get you a counter offer of 5% (they pay credit card companies 3%) DO NOT speak ill of the merchandise or pricing- if he says yes DO NOT say "I want to look around some- I'll be back." Pull out money, fill out paperwork, take gun THEN. If he says no- then he said no.

I can't remember how many girls said no, until I met this little redhead.....

But you ask anyway!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #9

Thanks for the info guys. Learn something new everyday.