Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > BAR --- hot barrel vs cold barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default BAR --- hot barrel vs cold barrel

Hello and happy holidays to everyone. I like to post questions and comments as short as I can, so let's see how i do.

I've been fighting with a 30-06 BAR for a long time. It's a standard BAR, mid 70's maybe. It's a dependable and fun rifle to shoot, but I can't count on it for hunting shots, say over 200 yards.

The problem is, shooting with a cold barrel, at 100 yards, it can't beat about a five shot 3 1/2" group. If I shoot 3 targets one after the other, the rifle will group 3+", 2", and 1". That is to say, with a toasty barrel, this thing will compete with a bolt action, with a cold barrel, forget it.

Any comments? I've gotten a wide range of possibilities from all kinds of shooters and gunsmiths. The best comment I ever got was from an old friend of mine who has witnessed all this and has shot the rifle. He said, "if you think this is not a good shooter, you should try a Remington auto for a week".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2302 View Post
Hello and happy holidays to everyone. I like to post questions and comments as short as I can, so let's see how i do.

I've been fighting with a 30-06 BAR for a long time. It's a standard BAR, mid 70's maybe. It's a dependable and fun rifle to shoot, but I can't count on it for hunting shots, say over 200 yards.

The problem is, shooting with a cold barrel, at 100 yards, it can't beat about a five shot 3 1/2" group. If I shoot 3 targets one after the other, the rifle will group 3+", 2", and 1". That is to say, with a toasty barrel, this thing will compete with a bolt action, with a cold barrel, forget it.

Any comments? I've gotten a wide range of possibilities from all kinds of shooters and gunsmiths. The best comment I ever got was from an old friend of mine who has witnessed all this and has shot the rifle. He said, "if you think this is not a good shooter, you should try a Remington auto for a week".

Over the years I have shot several thousand BAR's. I was there when they came out and was still shooting them when I retired 30 years latter. And though this is MY PERSONAL OPPINION the best out of the box ammo that I found is Federal. It's not worth a nickel more for the premium for it all shoots good. Unless you are going to shoot 5 shots when your hunting I'd go with the cold barrel point of impact. That's where (PROBABLY) your first shot is going to go and if you need 5 shots for hunting I think that you ought to consider another past time.
On the other side--if the rifle is changeling the group size as your shooting I'd say that you have another problem of which I can't help you with on a computer. BrowninG in Arnold should be able to help you with this one.
Lots of luck. For what ever it's worth I think the BAR is the best semi-auto on the market and for the most part pretty good shooters and very reliable.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

I contacted Browning several years ago. All they would say was to send it to them if there was a problem. I guess I still could.

The 'cold barrel first shot' in unpredictable.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

First thing that I would do with the rifle ( this is JUST a suggestion ). If you know of a competent gunsmith is to check the crown. That's a small but VERY IMPORTANT part of the accuracy situation. When the Marine Corps armors at Quantico, VA were building target rifles they would run the crown a 1/4" down the bore just to protect it. This suggestion comes with NO guarantees but it's where I would start. Polishing the bore with J-B bore polish MAY also help. When ever we ran across a rifle that just couldn't be straightened out (and there were some) we would fit a new barrel. That usually solved the problem. Good luck to you.