Bad Grouping - Need Help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bad Grouping - Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

hallow point bullet reduce the friction as the build a cushion of air in front of the bullet thus allowing the air to be moved by other air.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

You might consider a shotgun scope. Parallax is set at 50-80 yards and they are built for the recoil of slugs. They also have fast acquisition reticles. Like the one below. Dangerous game scopes would be another choice since they are built for heavy recoil.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-ShotgunMuzzleloader-Scope-P51851.aspx

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Most scopes designed for high power rifles have parrallex set at 100 or 200 yards. That's also way too much power foir the cartridge.

Get a straight 2x or 4x and send it back to the maker to have the parrallex reset to 75 yards.
I shoot my 458 SOCOM quit a bit,and it's topped with a Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50.While the upper magnification serves very few hunting purposes,it comes in real handy when I'm do load development testing,and works great when I'm shooting out to 250 yards with this weapon.

Deerslayer,First off I don't know many shooters of the 458 SC that care for any of the Corbon ammo.Most of the time it's pushing the upper limits,and shows pressure signs on the brass when fired,which is bad for the weapon's bolt/extractor/ejector/buffer system.
I have only fired handloads out of mine,so I have no personal experience with factory ammo.

What type of magazine are you using?
I use standard style G.I. 20rd magazines with mine.When I first started shooting it,I noticed that the last round in the magazine would shoot way off from the previous rounds.
Finally the gun jammed,and I found out why.The bolt was shoving the last round downward at the nose of the bullet,and it was hitting the front edge of the magazine and ripping a big chunk off the nose of the bullet.
I solved the problem by cutting/grinding a half-moon at the top/front of the magazines.

While the pics don't look too good,once I found out this solved the problem,I cleaned up the rough looking modification to the mags.
My next experiment is to put epoxy on the follower,on the lower side,and them file a center channel into the follower.I feel the follower still cants the last round while it's being pushed by the bolt into the chamber.

I have used P Mags several times,but they need to be modified more to work like the G.I.magazines.

I shoot several types and weights of bullets out of mine from 300gr-405gr,and the accuracy stays between .750"-1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with every powder/bullet combination that I've tried.
I usually only shoot 3 shot groups with the 458 SC when I'm developing loads,just to keep from wasting money.If a load won't shoot 3 bullets good,why waste 2 more.

Here's a target when I noticed something was going wrong. 2.514" at 100 yrds.

Here's a target after the magazine mod. .785" at 100 yrds

I'd really suggest learning to reload for this caliber.It's a lot cheaper than factory ammo,and the results are a whole lot better.Plus,there are so many different bullets to choose from,and you can really make these things shoot good with a little effort.
I've found that it doesn't really matter what type of bullet you shoot out of this caliber-JHP,FN,FNLP,RNLP,or BT they will all shoot great with the correct powder type/weight combo.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #14

Liked 79 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Damn, you certainly found the sweet spot that 458 likes.
Del

Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #15

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post

As for the sighted in at 25 is on at 300. Yeah ok. This is a 458 socom for one. Take a look at corbons exterior balistics. http://www.shopcorbon.com/Self-Defense-JHP/458-SOCOM-300gr-CORBON-Self-Defense-JHP/SD458300-20/100/Product
Yup. The whole 25 and 300 thing is only accurate for 62 gr 5.56. And you can change the PBR by simply zeroing at different distances.

Point blank range will differ completely depending on caliber, and even then bullet weight construction and sights.

As for the OP. IDK, shoot better?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”