Bad Grouping - Need Help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bad Grouping - Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bad Grouping - Need Help

So I went out Saturday and fired my new RRA .458 SOCOM for the first time.

CorBon Hunter 300 grain jacketed hollow points.

Using Harris Bipod and shooting from a table and sitting in a chair.

I am using a 4-16 x 44 mm scope.

Every shot, I felt confident and squeezed the trigger. I had a very stable shooting base.

Started a 25 yards and shot 4" due right of bullseye. I made adjustments.
Next shot 3" right. Made adjustments.
Next shot 1" right Made adjustments.
Next two shots - holes were touching in the bullseye.

Moved to 75 yards.
First shot - missed the target
Next shot - 11:00 oclock edge of the paper - 4" from bullseye.

Moved back to 50 yards
Made adjustments - See attachment.

Shots 1 - 4 were within 2" of each other.
Shot 5 was was 3.5 " high.

Because thesse rounds are soooo expensive, I didn't want to even try a 100 yard shot. Although I can zoom in and see the bullseye just fine at that yardage.

Should I expect better grouping from this rifle. I mean I get better grouping from my Remington 870 with a red dot scope at 100 yards shooting solid copper sabots out of my rifled barrel.

Thanks!

target.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

If you sight it in at 25 yards it should be zeroed for 300 yards. Assuming the caliber doesn't change the typical AR setup.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

First things first.

1. Check the scope mount and rings to make sure everything is tight and torqued down.
2. Clean inspect and lube the rifle.
3. Check yourself by using a different gun say a 22 lr. Make sure you are not slapping the trigger.

As for the sighted in at 25 is on at 300. Yeah ok. This is a 458 socom for one. Take a look at corbons exterior balistics. http://www.shopcorbon.com/Self-Defense-JHP/458-SOCOM-300gr-CORBON-Self-Defense-JHP/SD458300-20/100/Product

Old 10-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

What brand is the scope?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After the first shot, I did torque down the mount screws.
I do need to clean and lube the rifle prior to shooting again...
I know for a fact that I am not slapping the trigger. No fear in recoil... It kicks less than my .50 cal muzzle loader. Just breath hold and sqeeze. Just like in 1985 at Camp Pendleton where I scored a 243.

As for the scope... I bought this scope in 86 and put it on my Savage 30-06. Worked great. Sold the rifle and kept the scope. I installed it on my Remmington 700 .50 cal muzzle loader a few years back. No problems there. I wanted to give you this info prior to telling you the brand name on it. It is a Tasco TR 4-16x44mm with interchangeable rings. I know...Tasco = cheap. However, this was not a cheap scope, even in 1986. $175.00 then. And it did great on my other rifles.

I've thought the same thing though. I've even thought of putting my red dot on this rifle.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #6

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You're shooting a "Semiauto" compared to the other 2 rifles. A semiauto acts like a "springer" airgun. It recoils in both directions, so that scope which worked great on the other 2 rifles, is probably not working well with the Socom. If you can get your hands on a good "fixed" 4 power scope--try that to see if your group tightens up. Also DON'T run round after round down that barrel. What's also happening is your heating up and barrel might not be holding POI. Try a shot out of cold barrel, then wait 15min and shoot another round. Adjust scope if need be. If good, shorten up the time span, and run at 10min, if still good, shorten up to 5 minutes. You'll find somewhere in there, where you CAN/CAN'T shoot round after round. I've had to do this on many of my rifles to find that balance of shooting rounds until rifle broke in.
This being a NEW Rifle, you also need to break in, and this also will give better results. Don't be afraid to try different ammo also, as gun will tell you what it likes, as I'm sure you know this, but sometimes trying different ammo brands is easier said than done, especially with $60 ammo.
Hope this is your new Deer/Hog gun?
Del

Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
You're shooting a "Semiauto" compared to the other 2 rifles. A semiauto acts like a "springer" airgun. It recoils in both directions, so that scope which worked great on the other 2 rifles, is probably not working well with the Socom. If you can get your hands on a good "fixed" 4 power scope--try that to see if your group tightens up. Also DON'T run round after round down that barrel. What's also happening is your heating up and barrel might not be holding POI. Try a shot out of cold barrel, then wait 15min and shoot another round. Adjust scope if need be. If good, shorten up the time span, and run at 10min, if still good, shorten up to 5 minutes. You'll find somewhere in there, where you CAN/CAN'T shoot round after round. I've had to do this on many of my rifles to find that balance of shooting rounds until rifle broke in.
This being a NEW Rifle, you also need to break in, and this also will give better results. Don't be afraid to try different ammo also, as gun will tell you what it likes, as I'm sure you know this, but sometimes trying different ammo brands is easier said than done, especially with $60 ammo.
Hope this is your new Deer/Hog gun?
Del
Thank You! Much good info here... I will do all of this, short of the ammo part. Very little to choose from. Although I did wonder how the hollow points would fly compared to a ballistic tip round. Seems like the B Tip round would fly more true.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #8

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I don't know about whether a HP, or B-Tip would work better. More than anything between a B-tip and HP, would be their penetration/expansion factors that a Ammo Manufacturer designs into them that they think the Public uses that ammo for, or the powder charge behind that bullet. Some guns just like one ammo type or bullet grain weight better over another, even if ammo from same Manufacturer.
Del

Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6359 Times on 3553 Posts
Likes Given: 5933

Most scopes designed for high power rifles have parrallex set at 100 or 200 yards. That's also way too much power foir the cartridge.

Get a straight 2x or 4x and send it back to the maker to have the parrallex reset to 75 yards.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
I don't know about whether a HP, or B-Tip would work better. More than anything between a B-tip and HP, would be their penetration/expansion factors that a Ammo Manufacturer designs into them that they think the Public uses that ammo for, or the powder charge behind that bullet. Some guns just like one ammo type or bullet grain weight better over another, even if ammo from same Manufacturer.
Del
I was just thinking of the aerodynamics of the B Tip vs the HP. The HP giving the round an opening at the end of it to grab wind and air vs the enclosed B Tip.