Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Back to Bore Cleaning (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/back-bore-cleaning-30385/)

Silvertip 44 08-13-2010 09:09 PM

Back to Bore Cleaning

It appears that this Remington BDL .30-06 is just one of those rifles that is going to collect a bunch of copper in the bore every time I shoot and there is no way getting around it.
I fired about 30 rounds at the range yesterday and then started cleaning it when i returned home. I started by running two wet patches with Hoppes 9 and let it sit for a while. Patch came out deep blue. i then used the homemade concoction of 2 parts 10% Janitorial ammonia and 1 part liquid dishwashing detergent. I used Dawn rather than the Ivory liquid. Let the rifle sit for about an hour ran a patch through and it was royal blue. I ran several patches and they started coming out white. Put some more Hoppes through and it came out clean so the ammonia really gets the copper out.
It appears this will become standard procedure after every shoot with the '06.

I guess that next I will mix up a container of Ed's Red.

There was a little copper in the .300 WM bore, but the ammonia took care of it too. I can let the .300 rest for a month or so since I finally settled on a very accurate load for elk hunting.

danf_fl 08-13-2010 09:32 PM

I thought I read somewhere about some kind of ""bore lapping" material. Supposedly, you dip bullet tips in it, and clean the bore as if you are breaking it in.

Silvertip 44 08-14-2010 12:29 AM

I've read about that as well and also the fire lapping bullets, but I am a little concerned about using such in my rifles. It may work fine, but then I don't want to ruin a barrel either.
This ammonia/soap method gets it out but it is somewhat breath taking and needs elbow grease.

Txhillbilly 08-14-2010 12:39 AM

I just finished getting all the supplies for the electric bore cleaner a guy told me about.I'll get it all together and try it out on my 25/06 in a couple days.

I sure hope it works like I was told,and if it does,then I'm going to try the Final Finish bullets out and hopefully I can get the bore straightened out on the 25/06.

I'll keep you informed on it Silvertip. THB

canebrake 08-14-2010 01:24 AM

Is this what you are talkin' about TX?

Anyone used this product?

David Tubb's Final Finish bore conditioning system

DTAC - FINAL FINISH by Superior Shooting Systems

Silvertip 44 08-14-2010 01:48 AM

Thanks, Tx. Be sure to post some pics of the cleaner when you get it all together. Is what you are talking about the one that uses the flashlight and batteries?

Txhillbilly 08-14-2010 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 331351)

David Tubb's Final Finish bore conditioning system

DTAC - FINAL FINISH by Superior Shooting Systems

Yes that's what I'm going to use after I get all the copper out of the bore,but I'm using the bullets that they sell that I load myself. You get 5 sets of 10 bullets,5 different grits from coarse to polish.
I probably won't use the first two grits,I don't want to erode the throat in the barrel and have been told to skip the first two grits.

Cabela's -- Tubb Final Finish Bore Polishing System

Txhillbilly 08-14-2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 (Post 331364)
Thanks, Tx. Be sure to post some pics of the cleaner when you get it all together. Is what you are talking about the one that uses the flashlight and batteries?

Yes,That's the one I'm going to try out.

Highpower 08-14-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 331351)

I have a cousin that has used it and said it did make "somewhat" of an improvement. Personally I don't think it is anywhere near as effective as a good hand lapping with a poured lead lap though. There is no feel to what/where you are lapping running those pills down the bore.

cpttango30 08-14-2010 02:36 AM

Be careful with the Tubbs system it is like shooting sandpaper down your barrel and the only thing it will really do is wear it out even faster.

As for the OP get the outters foul out system and clean the bore then just go from there. Every time you shoot the thing you are firelapping the barrel.