Awesome Russian M91-30 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Awesome Russian M91-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

M1Garand Tanner:
Some guys at "Gunandgame" on the MN forum sleep with their 91/30s, 44s and 38s. One or two have even named their rifles.

The regulars there are quite knowledgeable about all MNs and I have never read about buying one in order to put it in a museum exhibit.

If the headspace etc is correct, there are reportedly one of the most rugged rifles ever built. Even many who prefer Mauser/LEs buy some to shoot, even hunt.
It should be the 'AK' of the bolt-action category, and the shorter 44 is much harder to find on the Internet compared to about two months ago. They have almost disappeared on the 'Gunbroker' auction site.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't care if you hang it on a shelf or shoot it, but you SHOULD buy it! They are nice rifles for the money and are genuine WWII pieces of history...

Old 10-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #13

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default My mosin 91/30

In early May of 09 I took a trip to my favorite gun shop. Not being financially able to make a purchase at that time, I left my check book and visa at home, (Lack of self control). While BSing and browsing I stumbled acrossed a substancial inventory of 91/30s in various range of condition. They were $89. Hmm? Pocket money. I picked out what seemed to be the one in best condition, Should have opted for the Tula, I know now. I left the shop with the 91/30 and 120 rounds of milsurp ammo for $119. I went home and cleaned it then immediately went to the range. I laid the first round in the mag. and had to beat the bolt closed. First fire was shockingly intense. Then opening the bolt was even harder than closing it. I managed to pound 5 more rounds through it before my hand couldn't take any more. Returning home disappointed I did some research. The milsurp ammo has a varnish coating which melts to the inside of the chamber. I put the 20ga bore brush on my drill and went at the chamber big time. Back to the range with more acceptable results, although after about 20 rounds it started tightening up again. I bought 200 rounds of brass cased ammo. Bingo, problem solved.
To my dismay the bore looks like a sewer pipe so the best group I could come up with was 5 moa with the open sights and the bayonet in place. Without the bayonet I couldnt get a group less than 8 moa.
I am considering another Mosin in da different model but will be more selective when it comes to bore and manufacture. All in all it was worth what I have invested and I am confident I can improve on the accuracy.
p1010012.jpg