Awesome Russian M91-30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Awesome Russian M91-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Awesome Russian M91-30

Today my friend and I were browsing the Firearms section at Joe's.

For $99 there was this Russian M91-30 with a bayonet.

The greatest sight Ive seen in a while. For that price, who wouldnt buy it? Im going to start saving up for it, not to be fired though (its 70 years old). It would be the greatest rifle to mount up in my bedroom or something.

Do any of you know about the M91-30's? The bayonet on it looks awesome. Im excited to get it, hopefully there wont be anyone to grab it first.

Gewehre Artikel

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

That's the going sale price for them at Big 5. Any particular reason you'd buy it just to hang on a wall? Rifles want to be shot! Plenty of ammo available.

It's probably been refurbished anyway, so see if it's the original barrel. It may not be, then shooting it wouldn't really damage it or lessen its value.

I've considered getting one, but just haven't cared enough to do it. It's a great price though to get into battle rifles. You never know when you'll need the firepower. Of course if you do have a Garand like your nic seems to imply, you already have the best one....

9x18=Makarov

Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Shoot the rifle.

All you gotta do is clean out the bore really well. Use a good bore scrubber to get out the deposits, and use some good solvents to clean out the action (get all the cosmoline off the weapon). Once you do that, the rifle should shoot nice and straight for you.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #4

I'm just worried I will mess something up, or break the bayonet (I guess I could always take it off). Would anyone know where I could get ammo for it?

And, unfortunately, I dont have an M1 Garand. Its my favorite semi-auto rifle of them all. Where could I get one?

Also, are there any other rifles I could get around the same price? Gewehr 43? M1 GARAND!?

Gewehre Artikel

Last edited by M1Garand_Tanner; 02-02-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #5

Go ahead and get it! I have a M44 (last version produced) and I browse the shops for a 91-30,the ones I've found around here are pretty beat and they want 149.99 each w/o sling or bayonet.
Don't worry about breaking anything,there are parts available from several sites on the internet(search "mosin nagant")and being cheap you can buy a spare.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

GUN NUT Rule #2 If you own a rifle you must shoot it at least 10 times. After 10 times being shot you can then clean and make it a safe queen. (Not that I would want a god awful ugly commie safe queen). By 10 times being shot doesn't mean shoot 10 rounds then put up it means 10 separate trips to the range with at least 10 rounds each time.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #7

Do yourself a favor right now before you shoot it. Take a 20 gauge bore brush and chuck it in a drill. Use solvent/cleaner on it and run into the chamber and clean it thoroughly. By doing this you minimize your chances of the bolt hanging up as cases stick. Non-brass surplus ammo has a tendency to do this if the chamber is not clean. Believe me its not fun pounding on that stubby bolt handle to get it open.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Garand_Tanner View Post
I'm just worried I will mess something up, or break the bayonet (I guess I could always take it off). Would anyone know where I could get ammo for it?
WalMart carries it. Many online dealers or visit your local gun shop/show.

Quote:
And, unfortunately, I dont have an M1 Garand. Its my favorite semi-auto rifle of them all. Where could I get one?
Right here!

Quote:
Also, are there any other rifles I could get around the same price? Gewehr 43? M1 GARAND!?
For the price of a 91/30??? It would take you seven to ten 91/30s to get a Garand. It could take you over forty 91/30s to get a G43....

9x18=Makarov

Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
WalMart carries it. Many online dealers or visit your local gun shop/show.

Right here!

For the price of a 91/30??? It would take you seven to ten 91/30s to get a Garand. It could take you over forty 91/30s to get a G43....
Great, well the Mosin is the only rifle Im going to be able to get... Oh well. I could get some .22's also.

Gewehre Artikel

Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

M1, there's no reason why you couldn't shoot it, it's not like it'll ever be worth enough for you to keep it off the range. I bought a Mosin-Nagant M44 for $90 a couple of years ago and then bought 300 rounds for around $40. They are great target/plinker guns because you can buy bulk ammo for them and not smoke your wallet. Plus, it you live in a state that allows you to hunt deer with a rifle, you can take a deer with it. I sometimes use mine to punch holes in old transmisssions and engine blocks just for fun. You can buy the ammo just about anywhere, last time I checked Bass Pro Shops even had it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380