ati mosin nagant 91/30 stock - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ati mosin nagant 91/30 stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Shimming the receiver with cork would seem to be counter productive as you want the receiver to be solid to the stock. Glass beding can accomplish this. When cork is used it is generally put under the front end of the stock to reduce barrel whip and enhance barrel harmonics. What kind of ammo are you using?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

The scope has been a problem in the past, shooting loose. I have since replace the indexing pins of the mount with drilled and tapped hex screws, and have Loc-tited all other screws. The ammo that I use is Bulgarian 1982 which as I have said, can give extremely tight groups. I have replaced the Russian trigger with a Finn for a two stage feel. I have also thinned the sear spring, and honed the front and top of the sear square and smooth, to a very sharp edge. I don't feel that I have compromised the safety of the trigger as I have tested it by dropping the rifle cocked, butt down from a height of about 12 inches onto the carpeted floor, and it has not fired in up to 4 successive drops. (For the purists out there, the rifle was not loaded) My goal is to shoot the smallest group possible, with the least invasive changes made on the rifle. I am interested in seeing what is possible from this type rifle and scope, and I am experiencing previously noted enlargement of group sizes.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

to dteed4094, Thanks for your interest. The stock that I have is an old pre WW2 and the trigger guard screws would not tighten up securely. I can't quote the source now, but in my readings I found that the Soviets used cork to bed the stock. I don't want to make such a non-period change as to use fiber glass, and the cork can easily be removed if it doesn't work out.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #14

The Ruskies Corked the Forestock To check the safety of the trigger, close the bolt and pry up on the rear of the bolt with considerable pressure. if the sear releases its not safe. I did all the easy fixes to 5 o my Mosins and then returned them back to origional condition and bought 1 timney or my favorite.It cost more than the rifle but has a thumb safety and breaks like glass now.Still can't rely on a tight group. I will shoot modern factory loads before i try anything else. I have got 0ne 5 shot group of 2 MOA which would satisfy me i it would do that consistantly. The gun can be returned to origional in a few minutes It is a fun project trying to tighten up the group. the next mod is glass beding.
rifle.jpg

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #15

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I used cork in various spots, seems to have helped some on mine

Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I fired this sniper today, and got about the same results as before. I had free floated the entire barrel, but never got the groups as small as the last time. Tried to put some card stock under the barrel at the end of the stock, and the resulting groups look like a small shotgun blast. As I cannot free float the barrel any more, I even sanded down the high spots on the hand guard that I could see shine on from rubbing on the barrel. I guess I will try to bed the barrel in the stock. This pre-WW2 stock is quite slender, and is warped to the left. I can't remove any more wood on the right side of the barrel with out really thinning the wood. I already have a sniper that I fiber-glassed and pillar bedded the stock. I have put a Timney trigger on it. I don't want to do those things to the sniper I am currently working on because I want the rifle to be like that available to a Soviet trooper in Stalingrad. This rifle was not hand picked, and married to a scope and mount at the factory so it will never be totally original. Other than buying an original, any Ideas about making this thing shoot straight? Do I need another, stouter stock like a laminated one? Again, my goals are to shoot the tightest groups the Mosin is able to do, and to keep it as original as possible to what was in use during the war.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hm, have you check the muzzle? I know that some barrels were back bored(sp?) To correct a worn muzzle bore. Maybe your is worn too much, or a bad job back boring it?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlmightyBob View Post
Hm, have you check the muzzle? I know that some barrels were back bored(sp?) To correct a worn muzzle bore. Maybe your is worn too much, or a bad job back boring it?
None of mine are back bored. I have been pondering if having a barrel re-crowned would be worth the expense, or just another way to throw some money into an old $90 rifle. I see good rifling down in there. If I had access to a metal lathe it more than likely happen to at least one of mine, just to see if it made a difference.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #19

My irst 91/30 was counter bored, It is also my best shooter.

Paul.