Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   ati mosin nagant 91/30 stock (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ati-mosin-nagant-91-30-stock-67596/)

proffitt 07-04-2012 12:08 PM

ati mosin nagant 91/30 stock

Start this as something fun afforable learning experince. My question since this a free floating barrel stock how much should i allow between the gun and stock if any?

mountainman13 07-04-2012 01:01 PM

Depending on how well the stock is made it should just be a better of selling the action in. You should be able to slide a piece of paper in between the barrel and stock up to the lugs. Doesn't take much. Just keep in mind that your nagant might not like being free floating and you may have to tension the barrel.

jpattersonnh 07-04-2012 11:04 PM

Correct. The Finns often put a shim under the front of the barrel at the end of the stock.

Werminator 07-05-2012 02:09 AM

I put this stock in one of my 91/30s and it has contact points in several areas... after cutting the barrel down I found it to be of no consequence as the gun still shoots well...

proffitt 07-06-2012 10:22 PM

Ok thanks guys. Got the stock in seems to rock a lil but im ok with a little bit of sanding. Love the feel and weight reduction. Next think i will eeplace the roll pin on the trigger with one rhat has tighter fit

dteed4094 07-07-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proffitt (Post 861437)
Ok thanks guys. Got the stock in seems to rock a lil but im ok with a little bit of sanding. Love the feel and weight reduction. Next think i will eeplace the roll pin on the trigger with one rhat has tighter fit

It took hours to float mine, I removed an excessive amount of material and when I went to chamber the first round it wouldnt go into the magazine because more material had to be removed to allow the interupter sufficent room to opperate. The rock is more than likely at the Lug.

proffitt 07-19-2012 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the fruit of my labor. Im getting 2 moa at 100 yds

HM2Grunt 10-18-2012 12:32 AM

This looks like a good place to ask this question. How will the group sizes be, in successive firings of five rounds if a previously un-floated barrel heats up? I have experienced the following: This rifle is a sniper with a PU scope that I put on, 1930 barrel/receiver. At fifty yards, sighting in at point of aim, the first group from a clean cold barrel is about 1.5 inches, shots 6 through 10 are all practically through the same hole. Shots 11 through 15 are so tight a paste-er will cover them all up. 16 through 20 begin group at 2 inches. Shots 21 through 25 open up another inch. Shots 26 through 30 are very depressing. These groups were shot over a period of an hour, with the barrel given enough time to cool as it takes to walk down and check the target. It was not hot out, and the barrel was never hot enough to cause discomfort by touching with hand. I was shooting from a bench rest with the rifle resting under the rear sight, rock steady with a lightened trigger. The receiver is bedded with cork. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

primer1 10-18-2012 02:08 AM

Scope tight? What are you using for ammo?

phildenton 10-18-2012 08:40 AM

The trigger contact point can be shimmed as well, just be warned that its not advisable to mess with the trigger, be careful not to over-shim, done correctly you can get it to break like a single action trigger on a revolver.