Assult Rifle Law. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Assult Rifle Law.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Humm, what does your legal mind say? States can not pass laws less restrictive than the Federal Statues? Federal law clearly prohibits the use growing and selling of marijuana ? Colorado and Washington have passed their own laws abridging Federal Drug statues.
I think you will see states do the same thing regarding firearms.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #22

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
Humm, what does your legal mind say? States can not pass laws less restrictive than the Federal Statues? Federal law clearly prohibits the use growing and selling of marijuana ? Colorado and Washington have passed their own laws abridging Federal Drug statues.
I think you will see states do the same thing regarding firearms.
So what if certain states started banning certain tv shows or authors or newspapers because they expressed views they don't like. Are they aloud to do the same thing with the 1st that they do with the 2nd?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #23

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ
I don't see how states have the right to dictate that certain guns are illegal when federal law doesn't prohibit them.
Really? Where were you when civics class was going on?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

The CT Constitution's version of 2A is "Every citizen has the right to bear arms in defense of himself or the State." Note that there is nothing in that statement regarding the infringement of that right. So CT lawmakers and courts are apparently free to infringe the hell out of it.

States sometimes pass laws they know won't stand up to Constitutional review by the Supreme Court because they know it could be years before those challenges ever get to the SC...and even then it could be a throw of the dice.

Last edited by 7point62; 04-03-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

Really? Where were you when civics class was going on?
All I'm trying to get at is this...
image-578148923.jpg

And this is what scares the hell out of me by all these governors saying they hope their state will be model (which they are, just not in the positive direction I think they hoped)...
image-4281660330.jpg

Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #26

What if New York or Conn. start to think they can do whatever they want with any amendment? What if they said "So we think that a lot of people are breaking the law by not registering their newly banned firearms and magazines so we're gonna kinda ignore the 4th amendment and just go search people's houses at will regardless of if we have a warrant or not. And if we don't find anything but think they may be lying and hiding them somewhere we're just going to ignore the 5th amendment also and interrogate them until they tell us what we want to know. But don't worry, we're doing this for YOUR safety."

And if you don't think that's where it's heading, you know absolutely nothing about world history. You cannot claim to be pro-2nd amendment but then turn around and say you just want make it harder for people to get guns (supposedly to prevent them from getting in the wrong hands). To make it harder for them to get in the wrong hands means you must first make it harder for them to get into the right hands. That is the textbook definition of INFRINGEMENT. I don't care what Connecticut's constitution says, if it is contradictory to the US Constitution then all that means is they wasted 3 things by writing it: time, paper, and ink.

Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 04-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The citizens of these states are getting what they asked for when they elected liberals.

I am not as rabid as Ann Coulter, but I do feel liberals are extremely dangerous and have no regard for our constitutional rights.

Why don't more citizens read Thomas Jefferson? He warned of these scoundrels but people continue to ignore him.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #28

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The people that are from ct thats are fighting for our right dident vote for them. I know damn well i dident. The goverment is brain washing kids in school it starts to young. There making kids believe things like guns and rights are a bad thing and that you should soly rely on the goverment to "save" you. The only way to win a war like this is to beat them at there own game. I dont know about every other ct member on here but ive been to all the rallies and the meetig at the capital. Ive stood up for my self and every one else. And no im not done fighting. Ive made it this far in life not by taking a back seat ride but running in front of tge bus. I was born and i will fight to die free...

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #29

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I was reading a post on a UK forum regards the law on assault rifles.

Maybe someone on the forum could say if the above statement is true regards the assault rifle law in Connecticut. PS Was the rifle legally owned. ?
This thread is getting a bit off topic from the original question... which I think has been answered.

The one factor I will add is that so called "assault weapon bans", in most states, are not actually bans at all.

They usually "grandfather" in existing rifles... and/or... they are a limitation on certain cosmetic figures.

For example, my first AR, bought while the Federal AWB was still in effect, was a fully functioning semi auto AR 15 in every way and capability except...
1. The telescoping stock was "pinned"
2. The flash suppressor had been replaced with a "muzzle break"
3. It had "NO" bayonette lug

It came with 1 (10) round mag but I often shot it with my array of 30 round mags, was approached more than once by Law Enforcement Officer while shooting it with (30) round mags... which by the way, were also grandfathered but "may" have been a problem in a "post ban" rifle???

Anyway... none of the offices showed any concern or asked any questions about the configuration or magazines of my AR, my AK, or my SKS. They'd just stop, say hi, look to see it there was an "appropriate" back stop, and ask that we carry out anything we carried in.

So my experience, under the Federal ban, which was not enacted at State Level in WA State, was that Law Enforcement did not give a damn about these laws. Even while shooting in public areas, as long as the activity was legal, the "tool" was not even looked at.

I point all of this out to help or British Member understand that just because some European bloggers read that the State of CT had an AWB in place during Newtown, does NOT mean that AR 15's and Standard Capacity Magazines were not still legally owned in the State at the time.

The only way to achieve an "actual ban" would be National Confiscation... and that's the point where our Government realizes just how badly "outgunned" they are.

Tack

Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The people of each state chooses the form of government they want. They elect the candidates that most reflect their views. The Federal Government really has no business dictating gun laws to American citizens.
Gun laws are a states rights issue. I really expect with the failure of Federal laws the states will pass their own laws. The Bill of Rights are clearly not for the Federal Government to abridge.
They are a states right issue only if they DO NOT 'INFRINGE' ON THE RTKABA'S, but 99% of state and local laws do INFRINGE on our RTKABA's!!!
ALL ten amendments of the BILL OF RIGHTS apply to ALL levels of government as they pertain to individual civil rights. The government is the government no matter what level we are talking about, and individual civil rights are the same regardless of what level of government we are discussing. States DO NOT have any authority to violate 'our' civil rights FOR ANY REASON so all of the current 'restrictions and limitations' placed on our RTKABA's are illegal/unconstitutional. Why is this so hard to understand???
I guess the progressive indoctrination runs deeper than I thought!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!