Assult Rifle Law. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Assult Rifle Law.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
I was reading a post on a UK forum regards the law on assault rifles.

Maybe someone on the forum could say if the above statement is true regards the assault rifle law in Connecticut. PS Was the rifle legally owned. ?
An AR-15 is not an assault rifle. It is an assault weapon by definition of the gov't, but not an assault rifle. AR stands for Armalite Rifle, not assault rifle. Don't sound like a democrat when you're discussing these issues.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

CT like many other states, MA NY NJ... Have an assault weapons ban.. They basically took in the bill Clinton ban back in 04 but with no sunset provision.. Us in ny were allowed to buy ar15 but the stock needed to be pinned, no threads or flash hider that wasn't welded on etc...

The gun was legal, but dumb mom didn't lock the guns up with an autistic child around..

Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
CT like many other states, MA NY NJ... Have an assault weapons ban.. They basically took in the bill Clinton ban back in 04 but with no sunset provision.. Us in ny were allowed to buy ar15 but the stock needed to be pinned, no threads or flash hider that wasn't welded on etc...

The gun was legal, but dumb mom didn't lock the guns up with an autistic child around..
I don't see how states have the right to dictate that certain guns are illegal when federal law doesn't prohibit them.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #14

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10

Its legal. all rifles that people own and the 20 30 rd mags, on the ban are grandfathered in. They need to be registered. No one after 4-3-13 can buy one, gift, trade, or tranfer one. Its stupid but it could be worse. Like i said before im out of this state friday and my guns have already been sent to family near my new house.
There is no grandfather clause included in the New York laws. Lucky you btw I wish I was in your shoes, getting out of this crap state I can't wait to move to a state with legislation that actually makes sense

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner

There is no grandfather clause included in the New York laws. Lucky you btw I wish I was in your shoes, getting out of this crap state I can't wait to move to a state with legislation that actually makes sense
How does Connecticut or New York get away with banning AR-15's or hi-cap magazines when the federal government doesn't ban those things?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #16

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
How does Connecticut or New York get away with banning AR-15's or hi-cap magazines when the federal government doesn't ban those things?
They consider it to fall under the 10th amendment.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

They consider it to fall under the 10th amendment.
But the 10th amendment basically says that anything not covered in the Constitution, then the states have the power to rule themselves on those issues. But if it is covered under the Constitution then the states cannot contradict it. This is again reaffirmed in the 14th amendment which basically states that the Bill of Rights unconditionally applies to the states as well as the federal government. So the Supreme Court has ruled on their interpretation of what the 2nd amendment means, and "assault weapons" are not excluded from that definition, obviously considering they currently are not banned. So then how is it that the states can then turn around and contradict this by banning these firearms themselves?

When the Supreme Court rules on the interpretation of the 2nd amendment, the states cannot contradict it by making an even stricter definition of what they think the 2nd amendment really means.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #18

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The people of each state chooses the form of government they want. They elect the candidates that most reflect their views. The Federal Government really has no business dictating gun laws to American citizens.
Gun laws are a states rights issue. I really expect with the failure of Federal laws the states will pass their own laws. The Bill of Rights are clearly not for the Federal Government to abridge.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The people of each state chooses the form of government they want. They elect the candidates that most reflect their views. The Federal Government really has no business dictating gun laws to American citizens.
Gun laws are a states rights issue. I really expect with the failure of Federal laws the states will pass their own laws. The Bill of Rights are clearly not for the Federal Government to abridge.
In modern day practice you are right, but the first and some of the other amendments state that "congress shall make no law with respect to speech religion etc" The second amendment states that "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". To my non legally trained mind that means nobody gets to infringe not just U.S. Congress can't infringe.

In modern day reality the only right left to state governments under the 10th amendment is the ability to write stricter gun laws than the feds have, but never more lenient ones.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
In modern day practice you are right, but the first and some of the other amendments state that "congress shall make no law with respect to speech religion etc" The second amendment states that "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". To my non legally trained mind that means nobody gets to infringe not just U.S. Congress can't infringe.

In modern day reality the only right left to state governments under the 10th amendment is the ability to write stricter gun laws than the feds have, but never more lenient ones.
And thats a bastardized way of how its been done. The way the constitution sets up the federal government is it does only a few things:

regulate trade between the states. This was meant to have the us congress act as mediator in disagreements between the states in trade disputes.

Conduct treaties with foreign nations.

Conduct warfare as needed.

Mediate issues of laws that, here is the important thing, may be unconstitutional.

The house of rep and the senate were only meant to meet one or two months a year at most, more if at war. They were meant to have very little to do with the states running everything and them only intervening when states couldnt agrree on issues.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This