Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Assault rifles and their ammunition:history and prospects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 315 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default Assault rifles and their ammunition:history and prospects

An excellent read-

ASSAULT RIFLES AND THEIR AMMUNITION:

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 07-02-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i wouldnt be suprised if alot of the fanboys take offence to that article. the 556 fanboys think their rounds can kill something at a 1000 yards just cause they can hit it even though the bullet would not do much more than break the skin. and the 762 fanboys think that...well their reasoning is more sound. atleast their guns dont jam every clip. but their range and accuracy blow balls too. i have wondered why the 6.8 didnt get popular and now i guess i understand... the never ending fued between the fanboy groups has all but halted progress.

Last edited by Cory2; 07-02-2010 at 03:36 AM.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #3

Anyone who understands the nature of what an 'assault rifle' is should understand that the intermediate cartridge as a concept was not intended to perform like a full size rifle round.

That being said,both the 5.56 and the 7.62 intermediate cartridges and the weapons designed to fire them each have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.

But they both share deficiencies that the developments of newer cartridges and some of the new concepts in gas systems solve quite nicely,pretty much combining the strengths of previous assault rifles and the range of a 'real' rifle.

All it will take is the military adoption of a new rifle in a major nation-but historically,that usually takes a major conflict and one side to be seriously out-gunned;for example,the story of the Springfield '03.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

5.56 is good enough out to 400-500yds. when engagement ranges hit further distances swap uppers. need to punch big 45-50cal holes swap uppers. need to shoot 7.62x39 another swap. the AR platform is proving to be far more useful than the round it was designed for.

i like the little 5.56 and the 7.62x39. they are fun to shoot. but i dont use them for hunting. i dont think a mid sized cartridge is good enough to reliably take large game. removing nuisance animals like coyotes they work.

thats my take on it

Old 07-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default assault rifles /ammo

very good read ...its ironic that every country or gov for that matter thinks they have the best answer....damn if the whole world could agree and produce only one type of ammo that was in their minds as the most devastating and lethal known to man .....maybe we wouldnt have to have any more wars ......think of it..... as a miniature nuke ..im just thinking out loud . would my framing hammer be considered an assault weapon if i painted it black

Old 07-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A buddy of mine come back from Iraq and said a few times the 5.56 round was pretty god but would not go through a front windshield in an oncoming vehicle too well. The 7.62x39 on the other hand did much better. I'm not sure how often that scenario played out for him but it was something he talked about when comparing the two rounds after he got back. Before he left he was the ultimate 5.56 fanboy. He still deer hunts with an AR saying most deer don't have a windshield.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Nice link! Every military weapon enthusiast should know exactly how and why those weapons were designed and their intended purpose.

I'll never feel the need to own a 7.62 x 39 upper though. That cartridge belongs in an AK. Everyone should allow themselves the privilege of enjoying it like its supposed to.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #8

Honestly-I lean so much toward the semiautomatic versions of the AK over the semi-auto versions of the AR because of many things-but more so because the price is right for a decent AK and it fits the same criteria as the AR-both are carbine length rifles;firing an intermediate cartridge from a high capacity magazine.

Honestly,I believe both rifles are pretty much equal -all inherent strengths and weaknesses considered- and the choice of one over the other is a personal one.

But when we start looking to the future-thats when things get very interesting!

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I have owned and loved members of the AK family for over a decade. Now the AR is growing on me.

The low cost of owning and shooting AKs is definitely appealing. But I've been shooting some great ARs lately: LWRC piston driven, SR556 and even just a plain ol Bushmaster with a fixed carry handle and I'll say it is a different sort of fun when you can make consistent hits past 150 yards at a faster rate of fire.

Would I ever replace the AK with an AR? HELL NO! But I am finding that the AR has it's place in my life as well.

I used to ONLY have AKs as my SHTF gun options, but after building my first AR and knowing the weapon. The idea that replacement parts, magazines and ammo are so abundant in our country. The AR makes a lot of sense as well. . . There will be one of each.

In the words of a wise gun enthusiast and expert "Own both, learn both and shoot both!"

Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #10

I hear that.

But I'm on a very limited budget,so I can only really own what is very affordable and shoot my friends guns when they let me.

A wise man also once said-

"Beware the man who has only one gun,cause he damn sure will know how to use it"!

But yeah,I've shot DPMS .308s and all sorts of ARs and other stuff of various friends.

I do like both AK and AR.I have a soft spot for the FNFAL.As soon as I can afford it,I'll find me a good FAL.......

But even if I was filthy rich-I'd still have a bunch of AKs!

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 07-12-2010 at 10:51 PM.