Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Assault

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
9, 40, or 45... quite helpful, don't you think.

Ok... here's something helpful. DON'T GET A GLOCK!

Oh... and very sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope they give you a bat and 60 seconds when they catch the dirtbag.
Sorry, but I was at a shoot over the weekend and pick up a couple Glocks. Ugh. It reminded how they have to be the most uncomfortable guns being made out there right now.

I know... I know... To each his own.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #12

Liked 323 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 915

id say get the glock 19 easy to shoot accurate and reliable cheap ammo to practice with and mags are cheap enough to get a couple extra.they are very reliable and only cot about $600 or so new.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Once a house is burglarized chances are it will be again. You want a firearm you are asking? My suggestion is get a CCW permit, a firearm,
and get yourself to a shooting range to perfect aim under pressure, stress, and memory. You will emerge more confident than you are now.
And, by the way, good luck to you!

Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #14

Liked 2338 Times on 1520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha
Once a house is burglarized chances are it will be again. You want a firearm you are asking? My suggestion is get a CCW permit, a firearm,
and get yourself to a shooting range to perfect aim under pressure, stress, and memory. You will emerge more confident than you are now.
And, by the way, good luck to you!
I second that.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #15

Liked 2338 Times on 1520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I know its not really the suggestion you're looking for but..may I suggest a gun safe.
That too, or at least a cabinet, the kind without a glass front.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident! But to answer your question, the problem with "home defense" is that it's just that, defending your home. This being said, your home environment MUST be taken into account. i'm not a huge fan of the term "overkill" but in this case i take it into account. If there are others in your house, valuables in the open, neighbors, etc., you DO NOT want a high velocity caliber/round. i'm not a big fan of .45 acp, but if you NEED a pistol for home defense this would be one of your better choices. It had GREAT stopping power, doesn't jar when you unload a clip, is easily customized, and most of all, it has very low penetration. This is good if you have thick walls as you have a chance of these babies taking a nap in you walls as the burglar takes a dirt nap on your floor. The only problem with the .45 ACP is that since it has a low rate of penetration, if this burglar happened to wear body armor there's a chance it won't pierce. Assuming this isn't the case, throw some hollowpoints into that .45acp and you'll get enough punch to take good sized man right off his feet. And since these hollowpoints get their kick by ultra-fast expansions, there's an even bigger chance of them stopping in your wall instead of sailing through and harming others. If you are worried that the intruders were to wear some sort of armor, why not alternate ammo? You could try double taps using a hollow in the chamber and one in the clip, alternating with piercing ammo for backup in case they keep moving.
Just my two cents, hope it helps.

-your friendly neighborhood hero

Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #17

I got a Glock 23 for my bedside protection, I personally love the Glock and the .40 cal has the power to get the job done.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

First, get rid of the gun cabinet and buy a gun safe. Cabinets are great for showing off your guns, but as you are so painfully now aware, they offer minimum security. Buy an expensive, quality gun safe that will protect your guns (and other valuables) from fire and theft. Sometimes great gun safe deals can be found at Costco.

Glock makes fine pistols with proven reliability, but so do other gun makers. Not all guns will "fit" all shooters. Shop around and find something that fits you, regardless of what others like or dislike. I once owned a Glock but got rid of it because if did not fit my hand well. But, that's just me. If you want a 1911, get one. They are available in various price ranges and manufacturers.

I'm someone who prefers larger calibers, .40 & .45, but not everyone agrees. As long as you select a "service caliber," 9mm and bigger which is designed for self defense, you should be ok. With modern expanding bullets they are all effective as long as you are able to place the shots on target where they will do the most damage.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
Are you looking for a carry weapon? Or just a night stand gun? When you are talking about a home defense hand gun a revolver may be something to consider. When you first wake up, simplicity is a nice thing. Most revolvers do not have any safeties to worry about.
I have to agree with this. I love my semi autos. I'm definitely not a big revolver fan. But my .357 sits right next to my bed when I sleep. Just point and aim, and if it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try a sig 226 or 229. You wont be disappointed.